• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unrelated Questions From a Relative Beginner

glj

Banned
Own M35A2 with multifuel engine. My experience so far has been four trips, 300 to 1200 miles, and no mechanical difficulties yet.

Questions:

1. What is a proper idle speed? (800 rpm?)

2. Is there a rule of thumb regarding oil change frequency for the civilian driver? I did read that while in service there was no specific interval, but rather periodically a sample of the engine oil would be "analyzed" and decisions made based upon such analysis. Not practical for me to use that approach. Is there a mileage and/or a time interval rule, as for the other things we drive?

3. Prior to my Deuce experience I had no diesel experience, whether it be a passenger car, or whatever. Is it true that one should begin to see black oil within just a few miles after an oil change? This has been my experience with my two oil changes (Rotella 15-40); the first change upon acquisition of the Deuce, the second after about 3000 miles.

4. The cab cover on mine was referred to as an "arctic" cover. Was this hype or was there indeed a fabric cover referred to as an "arctic?" The one I have does indeed have thick foam insulation in the back, and the top is pretty padded. I've seen ebay ads that refer to tops on sale that are "insulated." Are they likely referring to the top I have, by use of the term "insulated?" If there is in fact a fabric top recognized as an "arctic" cover, does anyone know where these might be purchased?

5. This is a topic for another forum, but is there anyone out there that would like to take their manly vehicles for a drive? Talkin about the Yukon, the Demster Road, to above the arctic circle, to end at the Beufort Sea, a Native community known as Inuvik. British Columbia (or Alberta), Whitehorse, then Dawson City, and on to Inuvik. Have to cross the McKenzie River on a barge. Too late to organize this year, but next? Is there a proper forum to organize such adventures?

6. I live in Utah. Is there a forum that announces military equipment owners "get togethers," National, regional or local? This would be a great way for me to learn, and participate/organize.

Thanks,

Gary

roscoe

I change mine at least once a year depending on mileage. I also had an oil analysis done on all three trucks by Blackstone labs. Its a nice tool to monitor your engine wear. I believe the MVPA has some type of convoy planned for Alaska. Also a member here is planning a trip still I think. Your cab cover sounds like it is more insulated than mine - so I would say yes on being artic.:) Look in the forums section for events. You can also post one you want to organize yourself.[thumbzup]

Reactions: glj

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/15705-m35-oil-pressure-idle.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/19491-oil-change-deuce-when.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/47812-oil-change-interval.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/56261-m52a2-ldt-465-1a-engine-question.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...13.html?highlight=oil+black+change#post445713

I think there are several covers..... the canvas ones are uninsulated, then there are vinyl ones with thin insulation and other vinyl ones that are much thicker. I think the thicker ones are the "arctic" ones.

5. Is there a proper forum to organize such adventures?

Either Upcoming Events - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite or maybe Military Vehicle Road-trips - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

6. Either organize something here on SS or get with your Utah chapter of the MVPA.

Heavysteven

Wow you i have put 500 miles on my truck in 8 months. Longest trip maybe 40 miles. I am a wimp compared to you.

Can you post some pictures of your truck?

L999here

,,,best way to learn...

If you have served in the military...then you should have no problem reading a tech manual. Get a few...operator,PM,direct service and depot service. Don't have the #'s...manuals are at my shop....but get on ebay or search the 'classified's' here for some. Once you read and learn the nomenclature, functions and procedures...actual hands-on will be easier and much more interesting. Good luck....sounds like you are getting more drive-time than most of us...LOL...

glj

Banned
Special Thanks to All

I want to thank all that helped with their ideas and research, especially clinto the moderator. I think he is trying to encourage me to look it up myself, which is good and very appreciated. I used search terms, but they did not produce the useful forums provided by clinto. I will get the hang of this.

Even though many of the discussions are anecdotal in nature, one gets a darn good feel for the correct way of doing things. I now have an unerstandng for the useful info derived from oil analysis. I will do that on occasion to see how the engine wears, but (considering that I drive a fair amount, and the drives are generally lengthy), I think I will simply establish an every 6 month regimen.

I'm a little confused about some of the discussions regarding oil pressure (in clinto's references). Shortly after purchase I noted the oil pressure at 50 mph read greater than 90#. Stopped by a shop in Ogden, UT, and the result was a new gauge, or a new sender, or both; I don't recall which. And a pressure approximating 45. Regardless, whether the pressure reads 90 or reads 45, the real pressure is the same, and adequate (I think). I think someone mentioned bypassing the sender and making a direct measurement. While I would like to know the real pressure, I suppose what is most important is that one have the correct sender for the particular gauge. I just instaled a new and pretty dash cluster with all new gauges, including a 0 to 60 oil pressre gauge. My start up pressure during this very hot weather now is 30, at 8000 rpm. I will have to determine, now, whether I have the correct sender for this gauge. Comment if I'm astray in my thinking, please.

And yes, good to know that these things should idle at 800-850 until warm, then 1000 rpm. Perhaps that does explain my 3rd replacement of a head lamp in 3000 miles, as suggested in one of clinto's referred forums.

Utah doesn't have an MVPA chapter. Will have to think about it. The MVPA has plans for an Alcan HWY convoy in 2012. I suppose that would be better than the Yukon, at least historically corect. Maybe on the way back I can turn north again.

Yes, I like to drive this thing. I didn't tell you, though, (because it might offend some purists) that I've installed a very nice power steering system. When you crawl over and turn against big rocks it is a necessity for me. Yes, I will post some pictures. I have ASB air lockers n all 3 axels, a second 50 gallon tank, with transfer, and yet other fuel and water storage as will be seen in the pictures. At least $40 grand into this already. I just retired and I have a strategy. After North I have plans to ship the vehicle to Australia, for the annual Gunbarel expedition (or is it the "Gunsight" expedition?). Shipping these things is not as costly as I once thought. Gunbarrel/Gunsight is an organized annual event only a part of which involves a 2500 mi 4x4 trail considered by advocates an the most remote on earth. Hence the extra fuel capacity. It can be 6-700 mi between native villages that can pump diesel or karosene. This will likely be the first Deuce to make the journey.

Yes, I would like to get my hands on a complete set of manuals, but a complete set is rarely if ever seen on ebay. I decided to get the cd's, and print what I want. Oh, military service doesn't guarantee you can read and understand these manuals. Many in my era never even touched anything mechanized. A few simply saw a glimpse of VN by air in a Korean era helicopter, only to be left to their own survival skills while watching traffic on Uncle Ho's Highway in Laos. But oddly, many of these resources read much like an old Studebaker diagnostic flowsheet. Another hobby. Supercharged Studebaker speed. Yes, it's a loot of fun, but at my age I hurt for a solid week for every day I spend under, through and arond that vehicle. Still, not enough to stop me, but I am relying much more on expert help.

I talk too much. Will post pictures.

Thanks, all,

glj

The Gimlis

$40,000 ???!!! Dude! Good for you! Can't wait for pics! Is this just the good old cargo M35 truck or do you have camper on it or do you haul a trailer. What do you sleep in? We are way past tents and sleeping on the ground. As you can see from my avatar, we made our own RV for our truck.

Australia sound like fun. Do you have a website? We would like to get more info.

Thanks!

randini

Mark montana (not real name) is a member here and has been very active in coordinating MV people on the wasatch front. I beleive there was a outing in the fall to the west desert.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I want to thank all that helped with their ideas and research, especially clinto the moderator. I think he is trying to encourage me to look it up myself, which is good and very appreciated. I used search terms, but they did not produce the useful forums provided by clinto. I will get the hang of this.
You are quite welcome. My search-fu comes from much practice, grasshopper.

I'm a little confused about some of the discussions regarding oil pressure (in clinto's references). Shortly after purchase I noted the oil pressure at 50 mph read greater than 90#. Stopped by a shop in Ogden, UT, and the result was a new gauge, or a new sender, or both; I don't recall which. And a pressure approximating 45. Regardless, whether the pressure reads 90 or reads 45, the real pressure is the same, and adequate (I think). I think someone mentioned bypassing the sender and making a direct measurement. While I would like to know the real pressure, I suppose what is most important is that one have the correct sender for the particular gauge. I just instaled a new and pretty dash cluster with all new gauges, including a 0 to 60 oil pressre gauge. My start up pressure during this very hot weather now is 30, at 8000 rpm. I will have to determine, now, whether I have the correct sender for this gauge. Comment if I'm astray in my thinking, please.
These trucks are notoriously finicky about electrical grounds, I think I would throw a mechanical gauge on it temporarily in order to establish a known baseline.

Yes, I like to drive this thing. I didn't tell you, though, (because it might offend some purists) that I've installed a very nice power steering system. When you crawl over and turn against big rocks it is a necessity for me. Yes, I will post some pictures. I have ASB air lockers n all 3 axels, a second 50 gallon tank, with transfer, and yet other fuel and water storage as will be seen in the pictures. At least $40 grand into this already. I just retired and I have a strategy. After North I have plans to ship the vehicle to Australia, for the annual Gunbarel expedition (or is it the "Gunsight" expedition?). Shipping these things is not as costly as I once thought. Gunbarrel/Gunsight is an organized annual event only a part of which involves a 2500 mi 4x4 trail considered by advocates an the most remote on earth. Hence the extra fuel capacity. It can be 6-700 mi between native villages that can pump diesel or karosene. This will likely be the first Deuce to make the journey.
We have an diverse crowd of extreme modifiers and hot rodders here, as well as restoration purists. Please feel free to post away and show us the pictures.

Yes, I would like to get my hands on a complete set of manuals, but a complete set is rarely if ever seen on ebay. I decided to get the cd's, and print what I want. Oh, military service doesn't guarantee you can read and understand these manuals. Many in my era never even touched anything mechanized. A few simply saw a glimpse of VN by air in a Korean era helicopter, only to be left to their own survival skills while watching traffic on Uncle Ho's Highway in Laos. But oddly, many of these resources read much like an old Studebaker diagnostic flowsheet. Another hobby. Supercharged Studebaker speed. Yes, it's a loot of fun, but at my age I hurt for a solid week for every day I spend under, through and arond that vehicle. Still, not enough to stop me, but I am relying much more on expert help.
Portrayal Press-google them. I bought a complete manual set about 7 years ago (before it was all available for free online) and it cost me a little over $300.

Magneto

The Gunbarrel highway in Australia would be a hoot, 1400 KM of driving challenges.
I also put the miles on my MV, a M109 (1500 miles longest trip so far) and enjoy adventure travel. I am looking to the MV Al-Can highway trip next year as a possible item on my to do list...:-D
Maybe some of the MV camper, extreme travel, M109 types should get together somewhere in the states for a mini rally. There has been some great articles and pics of camper conversions here on SS and I would like to see them in person and compare notes.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks