• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unsure to use gaskets or sillicone valve covers

Hey guys its been over a year since I was last on here, so I've been messing with my M1028 and I think I didn't say was that he had a stuck exhaust valve and it broke in the process of attempting to free it, long story short the machine shop took care of it and everything is all good, but I'm about to install the new injector pump and new injectors on it and I heard rumors I think that the military used silicone to seal the valve covers(please don't bite my head off on this guys) . But it had gaskets on its valve covers and I'm unsure if I should use silicone from what I think I heard or use gaskets. Now guys I'm just a young buck trying to get mine and dads m1028 going for him, that has been a promise I made when I was 9 years old when the pump went out. But I think the j code 6.2 had different valve cover gaskets than its c code brother. I hope this doesn't sound confusing to yall but Its just a rumor I heard my dad say to me. Thanks for any advice and critisism😆. Hope to hear from yall again.

Mike

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Either or. It makes no difference, its up to you.

Honestly, I'd go with gaskets first, then if they leak, I might try the sillycone route.

Barrman

I have done the dry gasket way, the rtv with gasket way and the no gasket with just right stuff method. All work great. To me the thin metal valve covers are the problem. They bend if you look at the sideways. I have found that the ball end of a ball peen hammer whacked against the head side of the holes by another hammer put a nice reverse bend to them that holds up when the valve cover bolts are tightened to their really pretty low proper torque.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold parts for 20 years in a another lifetime including valve cover gaskets in various brands in rubber and cork for many applications. Most never leaked if installed properly and tin in good shape.

Many ifs but never heard of silicone leaking if properly Cleaned and using name brand quality sealer. Also use the specific silicone for application not the generic blue for everything.

Personally I do not use gaskets anymore for the past 30 years unless some of the very specific molded variants. Transmission pans being the exception and I use rubber .

Silicone has not failed me for water pumps,axles,rear ends,valve cover , t-stat, oil pans etc
Ymmv

Thanks guys, I may try the gasket route first but just had to throw it out there about the silicone rumor I've heard. And another question I have is about those valve cover gaskets, is there any difference in them from a c code and a j code 6.2 diesel or are they the same thing? Because I remember the j codes have the egr delete metal tabs on the intake gaskets on the j code 6.2s, and I just had to ask incase there's any difference outside of those intake gaskets and the fact its a heavier duty model than the average c code. Thanks again guys.

Mike

Thanks Cucvrus, so that silicone is called permatrex? I'm going to look into it and read up on it. So dad is curious about something and he wants me to ask you guys about the silicone. He said after you apply the silicone to the valve covers , does it need to dry up before aassembly? Thanks for the input

cucvrus

Permatex The Right Stuff® Gasket Maker - Instant Rubber | Cleaning for sale (fishbrain.com)
I get it in this caulking tube and it lasts for a few years as I need it. I always let a curl of it protrude out the tip and it breaks off to fresh stuff every time. I just used a dab today to seal the tail lamp on my Wife's Ford Fusion. It has leaked water since new into the trunk. She found the leak after I locked her in the trunk with a flash light and pressure washed the entire rear section of the car. Shame they have a glow in the dark pull cable to get out or she still might be in there. The dealer never could find the leak back to 2016. It was icy last week and a box froze in place to the floor. We were able to take it to a friends business and get it inside to check it out during vehicle safety inspection. It was very hard to find and only leaked after the water pressure was low. Seeping in quickly thru the hole the tail lamps clip into. Imagine that. Water can get in anywhere. CUCV are leakers from the factory. Take Care. No need for cure time. Just tap the valve covers straight and apply gaskets and Right stuff. Golden. Do NOT over tighten the M8 bolts.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Permatex The Right Stuff® Gasket Maker - Instant Rubber | Cleaning for sale (fishbrain.com)
I get it in this caulking tube and it lasts for a few years as I need it. I always let a curl of it protrude out the tip and it breaks off to fresh stuff every time. I just used a dab today to seal the tail lamp on my Wife's Ford Fusion. It has leaked water since new into the trunk. She found the leak after I locked her in the trunk with a flash light and pressure washed the entire rear section of the car. Shame they have a glow in the dark pull cable to get out or she still might be in there. The dealer never could find the leak back to 2016. It was icy last week and a box froze in place to the floor. We were able to take it to a friends business and get it inside to check it out during vehicle safety inspection. It was very hard to find and only leaked after the water pressure was low. Seeping in quickly thru the hole the tail lamps clip into. Imagine that. Water can get in anywhere. CUCV are leakers from the factory. Take Care. No need for cure time. Just tap the valve covers straight and apply gaskets and Right stuff. Golden. Do NOT over tighten the M8 bolts.
Rick, the gig is up now. My wife wont get near the trunk now that you told that story.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick - have you let her out yet?

201215 Jack Nicholson.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks