• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unusual attachments on crawler tractor

byrdman1312

I recently saw a CAT D5 that belong to 101ABN. It was equipped with a bulldozer blade with winch on the rear. Besides these "standard" attachments, it also had a large box on top the winch made from expanded metal. The box was about 4ft. X 3 ft. X 3ft., open at the top with some aluminum beams sticking out the top. Also attached to the side, to the left of the operator, was bracket with a smooth tire and wheel. The tire and wheel could easily be lifted off it's bracket.
I've been around military and heavy equipment all my life, and have seen some strange stuff attached to crawler tractors, but these accessories have me stumped.

My first guess is that the wheel was a dolly that attached to the blade so the tractor could be moved with the hydraulics "relaxed" and the blade wouldn't touch the ground. After close inspection I couldn't find anywhere the wheel could be mounted.

Anybody got any info. on this equip. Thanks in advance!

Chief_919

That is the equipment that allows the D5 to be sectionalized and broken down for airdrop.

The tracks are removed, there is a metal "wheel" that bolts around the drive sprocket, and that wheel goes under the front so the dozer can be driven with no tracks.

Here is picture from the TM to give you some idea.

sectdozzer.jpg

Last edited:

byrdman1312

That is the equipment that allows the D5 to be sectionalized and broken down for airdrop.

The tarcks are removed, there is a metal "wheel" that bolts around the drive sprocket, and that wheel goes under the front so the dozer can be driven with no tracks.

Here is picture from the TM to give you some idea.

View attachment 526157
It sure is! I see it now! I've been around airborne all my life, just never saw this set-up. Thanks! I'll use this to amaze my "gearhead" friends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks