• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UORVA 250/300HP upgrade kits

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the consensus is an intercooler only adds power lag on the IDI 6.5L because of the limited amount of boost the engine can handle.
I have serious doubts any 6.5L can handle 300HP in stock form.
Even Banks, the folks that forgot as much about turbocharging than most of us will ever know did not intercool the 6.2L Detroit.
Nore did Detroit on the 6.5L
BANKS.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always someone willing to take your $ for supposed improvements.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Banks most certainly did intercool a 6.5T in a HMMWV.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Banks most certainly did intercool a 6.5T in a HMMWV.

Well I stand corrected! BUT actually none of the pictures show a turbo or intercooler on a HMMWV and why would Banks use the label "sidewinder" when that was the offset turbo as used in the 6.2L pickup trucks not a center mount, I need more "proof" as in actual pictures of the installed units.
ALSO putting something on a dyno has no relevance as to whether is is actually practical and or dependable, and even if it did happen there is no guarantee they did not "prep" the engine with many mods to "make it so" where are all the trucks that have been modified?
Even the statement that is was a 1440lb truck has NO relevance to putting it on a dyno...

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I stand corrected! BUT actually none of the pictures show a turbo or intercooler on a HMMWV and why would Banks use the label "sidewinder" when that was the offset turbo as used in the 6.2L pickup trucks not a center mount, I need more "proof" as in actual pictures of the installed units
You will find the pictures here.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually that does not change my beliefs at all, to start with it is only one prototype, I see no empirical evidence that the intercooler was necessary or actually added to the performance'
Another thing is they stated that ONE of the trucks tested only had 113HP to the wheels, if it was making the advertised 205HP at the crankshaft then almost 50% of the power was being consumed by the drive train, even though I think the 4L80 is a power sucking hole that is pretty ridiculous.
And one can assume that was not the truck they picked to modify (why would they as they obviously tested multiple vehicles) and can also assume that was the truck all the performance improvements were compared against since they quoted the 113HP figure when talking about power gain.
Also they replaced the intake, turbocharger, IP, injectors and exhaust system to get the modest gain in power, and again there was no testing referenced but dyno and a couple of runs, no actual data shown and no mention of EGTs which of course should have been documented before and after the mods.
And once again they did not offer an intercooler option on any of the actual "kits" for the Detroits that I know of.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regardless, it does show that Banks did intercool a 6.5TD. Thats all I pointed out.

And the horsepower at the wheels with the kit was 178, a 58% gain. That is more than modest.

65L_front.jpg

tm_03_hmmwv-768x512.jpg

I'm not trying to change anyones beliefs. I'm just showing you that Banks put an intercooler on a 6.5TD. His reputation speaks for itself so if you don't believe that his setup benefitted from the intercooler then, as you stated, that is your belief.

I think it most certainly contributed to the 64 hp gain.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes when compared to the sickest one they tested, they never listed the HP at the wheels on the one they actually modified only that ONE of the trucks tested had only 113HP to the ground and certainly did not clarify that was the truck they started with. the "rule of thumb" is 15% loss in drive train, even at 25% loss the stock 205HP engine should have produced around 150HP at the wheels. hell the 160HP 6.2L NA should have delivered around 120HP using the 25% loss figure.
If they had not put an intercooler on it there would be nothing to "show" as the truck already had a turbocharger on it.

Action

Yes when compared to the sickest one they tested, they never listed the HP at the wheels on the one they actually modified only that ONE of the trucks tested had only 113HP to the ground and certainly did not clarify that was the truck they started with. the "rule of thumb" is 15% loss in drive train, even at 25% loss the stock 205HP engine should have produced around 150HP at the wheels. hell the 160HP 6.2L NA should have delivered around 120HP using the 25% loss figure.
If they had not put an intercooler on it there would be nothing to "show" as the truck already had a turbocharger on it.
What stock motor has 205 hp ?

Hammer

IMO any intercooler will help; any lowering of the intake temps is a PLUS
The issue is the LAG caused by all the extra volume that needs to be pressurized.
Honestly, with an auto tranny, I don't think the lag is too big of a deal. A 6.5l with intercooler in a manual trans setup, Ugh, that would be horrible!

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The article clearly states the HP at the wheels for the HMMWV tested.

"The Banks Sidewinder system proved its mettle during a test session with an up-armored Humvee that weighed in at 14,400 lbs. showing a 58% increase in horsepower (from a meager 113 at the wheels to 178."

I guess either some parts or the entirety of each article on the system could just be a bunch of lies. I don't know if you really have installed a 6L80 in a HMMWV, I have no proof, but I do believe you.
dims.jpg

DaneGer21

The issue is the LAG caused by all the extra volume that needs to be pressurized.
Honestly, with an auto tranny, I don't think the lag is too big of a deal. A 6.5l with intercooler in a manual trans setup, Ugh, that would be horrible!
This is a myth. Extra tubing cannot be blamed for lag. Lag is 99% of the time the specs of the turbo compared to the specs of an engine. A few extra feet of piping is not to blame. IMO

Hammer

The turbo is part of it. These only run really low boost? And you can only add so many lbs of boost on these NA motors.
No idea what Banks did though.
Lag might not be the best term to use, but it is the closest term.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about something like this? I would leave the engine the way it is (I have the 6.5L TD) and take all that money and go with a hybrid system... Remove the transfer case and let the engine drive the rear axle only (add torque / rpm sensors and whatever adapter is needed), then take an EV motor, something like the Model S motor or the Ford Mach E, which measures about 22" x 13" x 14" generating about 281hp & 317ft-lb at 200lbs at around $4,000 (need to move some things around, like the catalytic converter, away from the transfer case and higher up in the tunnel where there is some unused space, relocate the muffler, maybe even lift the truck a few inches to get more room, etc.) and have it drive only the front axle for a higher total truck hp/ torque.
Dollar for dollar, electric has a massive advantage in terms of power density and efficiency and very soon, cost also.

View attachment 860557
This will also add the ability to recapture some of the diesel energy used to accelerate the truck's mass, during stopping, as the electric motor will act as a load on the front axle as it would partially recharge the batteries during stopping (some of the energy that currently is 100% lost as heat dissipated in the breaks to stop the truck's mass, would get recaptured into the batteries.

Of course, it would still need a few other things and a controller to match the two power systems distribution (that's where the torque/ rpm sensors come in).

Right now this may not look attractive, but in 1-3 years as the EV components costs are dropping so fast and the power density increases, this it will become an easier and less expensive way to add power.
I love the diesel sound and the overall truck feel, and I would also love to double the torque (I think the front & rear differentials can handle about 500 ft-lb each?) and this would be the way I would think to go while still preserving the truck's soul...just make it younger :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks