• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Up to date military radio

Billy Bobbed

I was wondering what radio I can get that can receive military communication,I know you have to have a license to talk.I dont want to talk just listen in.But if I had to I can talk.I have 2 MX-6707 antennas.Im wanting to put it under my passenger seat.And nothing real expensive.Their are so many military radios for sale I dont know what to get.What radio do you have in your truck.

Last edited:

eric_banks32

Most (90%) of all radio communication is done in "frequency hop" and without the current programming you can't listen to it. Each unit has its own programming and it changes weekly. I'm not saying its impossible by some means but to my knowledge its not doable. Your julian date and time also have to match the broadcasting station within 3 seconds or so. If it was that easy every spy from every country would just pick up a radio and listen in.

eric_banks32

I think the older radios should be able to communicate with each other, which I think is what most people have. The newer ones do have a "single channel" mode but it isn't used much.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB is about the best for non mil use. I use a couple hand held FM's just for local stuff. Won't go into all the details about up to date mil radios except to say, if they want you to hear what they're saying, they'll tell you in person.

On the display side of it though, had a thought. Get one of the radio shells. Install a playing device with a recording of military speak inside that runs to a speaker. Saw some WW II reenactors doing that and it was really cool!

Billy Bobbed

I was thinking you could listen to the local military.We have a small intelligence base about 5 miles away.And we have 2 local national guards,1 is around 3 miles away.I was thinking you could just listen to the drivers and not the classified stuff.I was hopping if I got one you could hear something other than air,but it sounds like its not worth it.I need a new CB anyway.

Flyingvan911

:ditto: Amateur radio is a blast. You can also get a PRC-68 or 77 if you know people who have them. That's what some of my friends use in their MV's for airsoft games.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Seriously doubt you would be able to listen. In most cases, they don't actually talk on the radios on a routine basis. About the only time they would, would be to do a commo check. Back when I was a weekend warrior, we would go months without using our radios at home station.

Good luck hitting the one of thousands of frequencies they are on.

papakb

While most of the militarys tactical commo is done in encrypted and frequency hop mode it is still possible to pick up stuff like range control and security in clear mode. Their newer radios cover frequencies from 30 to 512 Mhz so finding a frequency to listen to is almost impossible by just tuning around, even with the right radio. You either need to know someone who is active in commo or use some of the available info on the internet. Here's a link to one of them that might help you get started:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/VHF/UHF_Military_Monitoringhttp://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/VHF/UHF_Military_Monitoring

Have fun!

Kurt KG6KMJ

tcg528

I know the radio traffic at my guard base has no special forms of encryption. My fiance can pick it up on a civilian scanner at her house, but it's all just minor base security and aircraft maintenance. We all just use some higher end civilian radios.

ONTOS66

You have a couple of different subjects going here:

1. It is possible, and legal, to "listen" to military communications. It is a popular hobby with many people. Check this web site for some ideas: Military Comms Monitoring. HF VHF UHF Do a Google for "monitor military radio," etc. for more sources.

2. If you want to "listen" the easiest way is with some research, like the above web site, and an inexpensive scanner.

3. If you want to listen using something military, any of the VRC-12 family radios (including the PRC-25 or PRC-77) will work if you know the frequencies that are in use. If you don't know the freqs, then research, time and patience .. and a scanner will help. If $$ arent' an issue you can buy some of the SINCGARS equipment that is being replaced by new gear.

4. Anything in the frequency hopping or encrypted mode is off limits.

5. Communicating using the various military radios is possible, with a ham license, and only in a limited range of frequencies. Check the ARRL web site for more details. A Technician (lowest class of license) is easy to get and would allow use of the appropriate frequencies using military gear.

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a great website, thanks! I tuned in one of the HF freqs and have been listening to some interesting stuff on 8992 kHz for an hour. It's all in voice (English!!!) but part of it is "letters" coded. Heard "Andrews", and "Puerto Rico" identify so far.

My thoughts on monitoring Mil comms is that unless you live near a base, you'll not hear much on VHF or UHF. Why not listen on HF and hear stuff from all over!? (I'm using a PRC-174 at the moment.)

Bob WB4ETT

You have a couple of different subjects going here:

1. It is possible, and legal, to "listen" to military communications. It is a popular hobby with many people. Check this web site for some ideas: Military Comms Monitoring. HF VHF UHF Do a Google for "monitor military radio," etc. for more sources....chop...

davidkroberts

on the display side of things instead of ripping a military radio apart why not get a Ipod with a radio kit that transmits in the FM range and a radio that recieves in FM.

That way you could fake radio traffic or play music like a AFN radio station. I think that would be cool as everything

P.S. sorry about the thread hijack

papakb

Geez emmado,

Why didn't I think of that? Do you think I could get a PRC-117F or maybe a PRC-150? That'd be fun to play with. Then we could listen to the SOCOM guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks