• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upcoming 1028 recovery from NC to NY

pooka

Hey guys, I 'm planning a M1028 recovery on 5/20 from a fellow member in Richmond ,NC to Albany NY. I plan yo drve it back. The truck has a 700R4 trans in it, and I would like some opinions on my top cruising speed for extended stints? Tires are stock size. Thanks guys, JMC

wmhguthrie

60-65 with a 700. should be nice and comfy.
Really? That fast?

I just got a M1028 and haven't driven it much yet but it doesn't seem like it wants to go much more than 45. But what do I know. It'll be nice if she'll go that fast.

Re. the drive from NC to NY, how did it go? What was your cruising speed?

91W350

Really? That fast?

I just got a M1028 and haven't driven it much yet but it doesn't seem like it wants to go much more than 45. But what do I know. It'll be nice if she'll go that fast.

Re. the drive from NC to NY, how did it go? What was your cruising speed?
You are right on the money, his truck has been upgraded with a 700R4. That would mean overdrive. Glen

pooka

65 was comfortable, thats about what I came up at. Every now and again, I'll push it a little over 70, but not much. The 4th gear really does help....[thumbzup]

91W350

I just got my M1028 from a gentleman in Ohio. The truck is FACTORY-FRESH! I can cruise at 55-60 mph.
You can, just how long it will remain factory fresh will have a direct relationship with how many miles you put on at 60. That is leaning on a 6.2 with 4.56 gears. They will do it, but unlike a Cummins that will live running on the governor for years, the 6.2 will unload. What is safe? Who really knows for sure, 2,000 to 2,200 rpm seems to be about the upper limit of long life.

2200 on a 32" tire with a 4.56 gear and stock transmission/transfer case is 45 mph. I run mine 48 to 50, probably too fast. Glen

Gear/rpm/tire/ and other calculators. http://www.ramblerman.com/blazer/gearcalc.htm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks