• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update from a generator fanatic.

storeman

You may recall I posted about having trouble pulling fans. Pulled the puller bolt right out of the metal the first one I tried, despite using Break Free and doing a hammer jig on the casting. Was trying to get the fan off to get at the stator on my parts 003a. Also wanted to check out the gear cover and gasket on that unit because my best 002a had a persistent oil leak and the fan threw a light mist, ergo something wrong with a gasket. Didn't was to make my first try on my best unit.

Based on Keith's experience with his unit and the ease with which he pulled his fan, I got the 2 bolt puller from NAPA that he mentioned. Pulled 2 off my running units with no problem. The 3rd unit I pulled the threads out even with Break Free and a hammer. Wound up re-tapping the holes to 3/8 fine thread to finally get it off. The fourth was a real bugger. Went successively through 3/8, 7/16th and finally to 1/2"x13 to get it to budge. All the smaller ones just pulled the threads out. Had to use a 9/16 end mill on the puller bar to allow access with the 1/2" bolts. tricky end milling with a drill press used primarily for woodwork. Whew! Happy man.

Sold the only stator I had so now have access to a second one.

On to the oil leak. Turns out my "good" unit had a crack in the gear cover housing where it fits over a protruding stud. It is in the weakest area of the housing where an unsupported "peninsula" sticks out and the gasket lays below it. Apparently someone at depot or general support level tried to tighten the other bolts down with the casting on top of the stud instead of seated on it. Took the cover from my parts 002a which had a good gasket and replaced it. Put it all back together doing what made sense. Started it and couldn't control the speed.

So.........finally time to look closer at the -34 TM and learn that there is a roll pin which must be seated in one of 3 holes in the governor cup. Problem is the cup is weighted and it settles to an area the pin doesn't want to go to match up. Lots of juggling but finally have an 002a that doesn't leak oil and, once I stop the minor voltage hunting, should be reliable.

Now to the latest problem with it. I'm stumped and I haven't found a ready answer in the TM. The DC charging function on this unit has been fine at 26.6 volts on the multi-meter. Now I measure 25.2 when running. Fuse to the DC regulator is fine. I didn't unhook any wires while changing the gear cover.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks for everyone's help along the way. Going to look at 2 privately owned 002s tomorrow. Visit with a shrink scheduled for Wednesday.

Jerry

Attachments

Last edited:

PeterD

Only that the voltage is too low! 8)

See the reply to another thread, if I can understand how the regulator works, I could probably make up some 'aftermarket' ones. (My company makes diesel truck electronic parts, so this could be right up our line, so to speak...)

Keith_J

Only that the voltage is too low! 8)

See the reply to another thread, if I can understand how the regulator works, I could probably make up some 'aftermarket' ones. (My company makes diesel truck electronic parts, so this could be right up our line, so to speak...)

It works like that of a motorcycle's voltage regulator. Current in excess of what is needed to maintain 28.4 volts is "dumped" to a heat sink.

PeterD

It works like that of a motorcycle's voltage regulator. Current in excess of what is needed to maintain 28.4 volts is "dumped" to a heat sink.
Well, that could be a problem! A series regulator would be better, best would be a switching regulator.

Anyone think that an 'aftermarket' regulator would be worth investing in?

steelypip

I've been thinking hard about an aftermarket regulator for these (there's an excellent MOSFET regulator being retrofitted to all kinds of motorcycles), but there is that whole 24V/12V thing. Is there anything 24V that uses a generic/cheap shunting regulator?

jbk

iam useing this 12/24 volt 8 amp. waterproof 3 stage charger/maintainer on one of my units right now. been waiting on a member to get back to me on a stator/regulator replacement. i plug it in after i start the gen. does great $89.00

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks