• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

Jones

Mind if I jump in here...
Kenny, the best one I've run across it the Bendix X-Vision system as used on the Cadillacs and other GM cars. Make sure you get one new in the box or you stand a chance of buying a cobbled together unit with someone else's problems. Found mine on eay; they aren't exactly cheap but well worth it the first time you come up on something/someone hidden in darkness fog or dust. They "see" only heat so someone in dark clothing is as visible as anyone else; and, oncoming headlight glare isn't even evident on the monitor. They work equally well in the daytime for seeing through dust and smoke.
www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=5012
Mine's a must have option for the baby HEMTT before it hits the road.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DVE "sees" thermal images. AKA... If it gives off heat, DVE sees it
Night Vision Goggles amplify availible light

The Army taught us to use BOTH to drive with.. The TC uses NVG's, the Driver uses the DVE.

Our DVE was so sensitive, you could see the heat transfer from the rolling tires "tracks" from the truck ahead of you in the convoy on the pavement.

Water screws up DVE, and acts as a mirror.. That takes some getting used to when you see it thru thermals.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The latest night vision veiwer is a combination unit using the latest gen IV intensifer and an IR veiwer and combines the veiw for the Soldier it is an awesome unit but don't expect to get one with out a lot of money and that will be a civilized version not quite as good in my mind.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When i saw the pictures of the cap in the earlier pictures in this post, I said to myself..." boy that cab looks famillier."

I'm glad it went to a good cause. Keep up the top-notch work!

dma251

Joaquin Suave said:
When i saw the pictures of the cap in the earlier pictures in this post, I said to myself..." boy that cab looks famillier."

I'm glad it went to a good cause. Keep up the top-notch work!
Well, most of the bits and pieces inside it went to a good cause, but the cab itself is my original cab from the truck. The LVS cab has an entirely different mounting structure underneath and interior shape, so I wasn't able to use it for the cab. The doors and many smaller parts are, and there is no way I'd be this far along without it, though.

Thanks to you and Leonard for the BIG step forward.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pictures! Intersting study in construction method...flat panels, straight lines, the welding....
The lightswitch seems a little hard to reach (and see) while driving.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Great pictures! Intersting study in construction method...flat panels, straight lines, the welding....
The lightswitch seems a little hard to reach (and see) while driving.
I noticed the positioning, too. Hard to get used to seeing there, but I bet it makes it real convenient to turn the lights on and off without leaning forward toward the dash.

Excellent job so far!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maddawg308 said:
.......I noticed the positioning, too. Hard to get used to seeing there, but I bet it makes it real convenient to turn the lights on and off without leaning forward toward the dash. .....
Hmmm...at least you don't have to see the old one to operate it.....I don't know, great job in any case.

Attachments

Jones

I'm a firm believer in three lever switches but have had no problems with the push button switches, both in the Guard as well as my personal vehicles, so I trust them too. Until you've used them for a while, I found the three levers feel like you need both hands to operate. The biggest problem in a HEMTT or LVS is reaching around the t-case selector to get at the light switch. The push button switches are just another keyboard like a telephone or computer and can be operated without looking once you learn where the buttons are.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
In case no one mentioned it... Top notch work.

The gray interior is growing on me, but I keep hearing the song "in the navy" in my head when I see the pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks