• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

dma251

Fortunately not even close.... If I was finished, I would be bored and move on. My goal with this project is to get the major restoration stuff done (sandblasting, paint, bodywork, wheels/tires) and then space out the stuff I really enjoy doing - modifications!

As you know, I still have to wire up the FLIR system, the remote spotlight, intercom, dome and beacon lights.... The list goes on...

I will probably pull back a little from it over the winter and work on my other project - my 1-ton Jeep Grand Cherokee rockcrawler rig... That is in the smaller garage, and is much easier to heat over the winter ;)

I've got an empty spare room for when you come up to help!

Armada

Keep up the great work dma! Your paint job looks fantastic! Thanks for the continual updates.
Leonard, is the baby HEMTT running around under it's own power now? I hope to be able to see it in person someday. It is an engineering marvel and a true testament to your skills. My hats' off to both of you.

Jones

The baby HEMTT was capable of moving under it's own power but I found there's a lot of lash in the rear differential. Since I've bobbed the bed in preparation to installing the crane I figure now's the perfect time to swap out differentials while there's a big access hole there. Damon's still light years ahead of me as far as streetable goes though. He can actually drive his to where the work's being done instead of having to do everything in his driveway like I get to.

kurtkds

That is one heck of a rig you've got there!!! I'd love to see it in person. I may have to make my way north to check it out some time..

Keep up the good work.

dma251

Doors always open. Anyoine that wants to hang out and talk MV's, go for a hemtt ride, crush some cars.... Oops, forgot, can't do that anymore.... ;)

(it just never gets old rofl )

Serious, Quark came out for a visit last earlier this week.. I love having visitors that speak MV....

dma251

madsam said:
That explains why you were not worried about paint on the tires.. Great job...
I WAS worried about it, but the friend of mine that was running the paint gun wasn't as concerned as I was. It was a complete accident that we forgot to check the tarp positions on some of them.

Quark treated me right by being so patient waiting for so long for those wheels and tires to be ready to be picked up. Instead of continuing to put of his project, I opted to put my hemtt on blocks so he could get what I promised him.

I'm not being defensive about this, but I want everyone to know that dma251 isn't gonna intentionally disregard what is someone else's future property . PERIOD.

I made sure that the paint could be removed with xylene and a brush fairly easily, and I offered to knock the price down a bit because of it.

Enough said about that....

Update - still on blocks....

BUT, I did just score a beautiful complete M66 gun ring for $500 and a MK93 recoiling gunmount for my MK19 going up on the roofrack.... Rock n' roll!!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is better than Ted and Bills Excellent Adventure. I can not wait to see this truck when it is complete it is already up in the top notch zone in my book you are doing better as I said before than the depot rebuilds I have seen.

dma251

more pics to come soon. I still need to throw another couple gallons of green on it before I can start chalking out the black and brown.

...must hurry.... Weather is changing.... Almost time to start turning the heat on it the hemtt-house....

I don't want to have to paint with it on though, because it's propane, and i worry about the added moisture from the heater.

Jones

Outstanding progress as always! You make us proud.

For the future; you can mix up a bottle of dishwashing liquid in a gallon of water and brush it on tires or other rubber surfaces prior to painting. The consistancy should be thicker than water so it doesn't run easily, but not so stiff as to be hard to brush on and spread-- about like maple syrup. Try it any you'll get the feel for it.
Then, no need to tarp every square inch of your tires because any paint overspray just lands on that layer of soap; which is easily washed off after the paint job is done.
Just remember though that any soapy water runs or droplets on paintable surfaces will have the same masking effect.

As for a heated enclosure; remember that the entire truck's surface has to be painting temperature; not just the air inside your enclosure. That's a lot of BTUs.
Some kind of enclosed heating source is a better bet. A big commercial space heater with dehumidifier comes to mind. Or a bunch of those oil-filled radiant heaters for instance, are good for dry heat; although, at 1,500 watts a piece, they'll make your electric meter spin right off it's little bearings.
With your propane heater I'd worry more about paint vapors and an open flame; or all that carbon monoxide in a closed area. We don't need to be reading about you in the obits.
...but just in case; you DO have my name and "HEMTT" spelled correctly in your will, right?

dma251

new pics of the M66 gun ring installed. I just got my hands on a MK93 MOD2 recoiling machinegun mount for it. I will be rebuilding the mount, and over the winter will construct a metal MK19 grenade launcher replica to put on top!!!

By the way, if anyone has any detailed dimensions of a MK19 I can use to buiuld this replica, I would appreciate it. I bought a 1:7 scale model of one to use for dimensions if I have to. I will be using some real parts on the replilca to add to authenticity. No worries BATF, it won't be real.... ;)

Attachments

dma251

98hd said:
If you've got the cash ..............

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmg8

I'm drooling.... Unfortunately I'd have to sell the truck to be able to afford the gun... Then I'd have to rig the MK19 on the roof of my 1992 Honda Accord. That might not look right...

Thanks for the link, though. I can get a much better idea of what my construction plan is going to be by looking at their pic of a receiver kit.

dma251

I can't see spending $3200 for something I can fabricate myself with metal and time. Besides, some things are more rewarding to build yourself.

In the winter even with the heat out in the garage I find I like to spend my time in the house mostly, so this will be a good winter project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks