• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade or Downgrade

WV New Guy

Have the oppurtunity to sell the M923A2 and obtain an M817 dump which would save my back from shoveling gravel off of the 923 . I'm currently running 395 super singles and M817 is all original . I downloaded the TM and went back thru the post in the past . I'm looking for good honest information on the pluses and minuses .

WV New Guy

No winch and I completely told myself next truck would have a winch , I did look at an M54 with a winch bed had some issues . I can just keep the M923 and use it as the show pice like we do and the dump as the work horse and claim the green disease got me .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No winch and I completely told myself next truck would have a winch , I did look at an M54 with a winch bed had some issues . I can just keep the M923 and use it as the show pice like we do and the dump as the work horse and claim the green disease got me .
This gets my vote!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From someone who also shovels gravel off the back of my M925A2, I say go for it!!
I would LOVE a dump truck!!
Dumps are harder to find and more expensive when you do.

My thoughts anyway..........

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't side by side compare the M929 with the M817, but when we received the 939 series replacements for our 809 series trucks in Germany 1985-1987, the soldiers universally liked the 5 speed standard transmission better.

9 Feb 14 3 cropped.jpg

DSC00096.jpgDSC00104.jpg

Last edited:

red

The m817 will be more efficient with the power (manual trans vs auto), the duals are more stable with a load, dump bed works great, simpler truck that is a little more reliable. The transmission PTO that drives the dump bed is most likely a double sided unit that can power the front winch (if you decide to add one later).

Downsides. Louder to drive, parking brake is crap, lower top speed, have to keep a closer eye on the service brake system (strong brakes and far more reliable than the deuce brakes, but still a single circuit system).

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
800 series will be much more stable with the duals. Also, you can use low range transfer in any gear you wish. I can't believe the army would accept a truck like the 900 series for a tactical truck that along with its lack of redundancy due to the complexity of electrical systems also has limitations in low range transfer case. We use low range, need it in many situations we get into with our trucks, especially the dump. We have the M series, do not expect high road speed, a sacrifice so to say for the uniqueness of the military trucks and the attention they get. Many contractors have told me they want to find a military dump like the M or 800 series but have a hard time doing it. Go for it! If you can afford it while keeping your 900, go for it! If not, you are still ahead to sell the 900 and go with the 800 series dump. If you have mechanical ability, the 800 will be much easier to maintain with common mechanical knowledge without having to try to sort out complex electrical systems, tire inflation systems and such when things go south on the 900. If I remember right the 20,000 pound winches are not as expensive or about the same as the 10,000 on the deuces because of popularity difference. Also, the shaft drive 20,000 pound winches are honest 20,000 pound winches. The hydraulic winches on the 900 series are the same basic winch but the capacity is lower. I was looking at a 900 series wrecker a friend has and could not believe how much lower the stated capacity of the front and drag winches was compared to the M series shaft drive winches we have.

WV New Guy

Would the spare parts I have acquired for the 923 work on the 817 such as windshield glass and spare doors? I know it was very easy to obtain new super singles for the 923 how about Tires and rims for the 817 I would not single it out but probably replace the ndcc tires with something a little more roadworthy ?

tobyS

Had both and can compare (sold 817). Also have some experience with transfer case and sprag over-run clutch.

Don't even think about singling out the 817. The duals are much more stable with a load. When I finish changing to new 395's on my 929 and don't have egg shaped tires on the front, my opinion of singles will get better, I hope. The slightly shorter 395's and increased weight capacity do seem to have a bit less bounce with a load (installed on rear but not in photo).

The NDCC are good tires but so are the G177's...both require tubes and both are readily available. NDCC tend to slide on wet roads a little more...still good tires.
Windshield glass will not interchange but doors will. PM me if you want to get rid of the windshields...my 929 needs them.

If you don't go for it, PM me. I've been taking houses down that are a liability (fire) for the land and could use a second dump. With the rear gate and wings, they will haul a good size load. I'm thinking of how to make and mount a tarp, (not bows and fitted cover) to keep small stuff from blowing out.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Here is a thought on tires. I like front flotation that the reversed budd does not have. A 365/85R20 would go on combat rims but is 2" taller than the 365/80R20 that is the same rev/mile as the 11.00 (but a "metric" fit). With the sprag, and the fact that there is a difference in gearing between front and rear, having a slightly larger tire on the front would not seem to make a problem, given the back is always trying to over-run the front anyway. We could go through the math to confirm, if you have an interest in larger fronts on combat rims.

Lukes_deuce

Having just bought a 923a2 and previously having a 813 W/W, both trucks have their benefits and disadvantages. I try not to shovel much of anything out of the bed of my truck but sometimes you need too. I dont need a dump truck for what I do, so I stuck with another cargo truck and will put a dump hoist on my new 923a2. I like the 923 much better for the better highway road manners, better brakes, more power, ability to make more power and better cab. I do miss the manual trans and better looks of the 813. The winch on the 813 was very strong, it would drag the truck across the grass with someone on the brakes. Not sure of the hydraulic winch on the 900 series. As far as maintenance, I dont see much more involved with a 900 series. There are some more electronics involved, but nothing that cant be figured out with a mulit-meter and some diagrams.

If you can afford both trucks, then go for it! If you can only have one truck, my vote would be to keep the 923 and add a dump hoist. That would cover 90% of what most weekend warriors will do. If your doing heavy excavation with lots of rock, then I would suggest a real dump truck.

tobyS

LD, if you want a new Chelsea PTO for the 923A2 I have some listed in classified cheap. I bought a lot and am getting to the end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks