• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade to M35A2 personal heater

Br0nc0xrapt0r

The Deuce I am getting has a hard top and a heater, however from what I read the heater in these trucks leaves a lot to be desired and I live in MI where it gets a little nippy in the winter. my Idea was to run the fresh air inlet to the heater into the cab so instead of heating cold outside air it heats the air from the cab that is warmer. I seached and couldn't find much besides the guys switching to 151 heaters.

Any input on this?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-circulating interior air works. Although I prefer to use fuel burning heaters, years ago, I put a re-circulating loop on my M37DSCN1909.jpg Recently, on a trailer recovery to Fairbanks for an M 989, with my Deuce, there were stretches of -20F. I ran the heater on LOW, all the way. So, if you think its chilly there, find a fuel burning heater - you will probably have to drive around with the windows half down.

steelandcanvas

I've read threads like this before and have never had any issues with my heater as installed from the factory. Occasionally the heater hoses are not installed in the right location on the engine causing the heater not to work to it's full capabilities. There is a PS article written describing the correct/incorrect connections, I can't seem to find it...maybe someone will chime in with it. Gringletaube??

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I helped install a stock heater in a deuce cab. Put it under the map compartment and used the diverter box from a five ton (reversed compared to a deuce one). Works very well.

steelandcanvas

Thanks EDP, that's the one. I would think a hose rearrangement would be a little easier than moving the heater inside, providing the hoses were not initially installed correctly.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

I've read threads like this before and have never had any issues with my heater as installed from the factory. Occasionally the heater hoses are not installed in the right location on the engine causing the heater not to work to it's full capabilities. There is a PS article written describing the correct/incorrect connections, I can't seem to find it...maybe someone will chime in with it. Gringletaube??
I see eastern CO so i know it gets purdy cold there. In 0*F weather and an artic grill cover this thing can keep the windshield clear and you warm?

steelandcanvas

I see eastern CO so i know it gets purdy cold there. In 0*F weather and an artic grill cover this thing can keep the windshield clear and you warm?
Yessir! I do have the Arctic Grill Cover installed and mine does keep the windshield clear and the cab "comfortable". But before moving your heater inside the cab, check to be sure your hoses are installed correctly, check that out and go from there.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Yessir! I do have the Arctic Grill Cover installed and mine does keep the windshield clear and the cab "comfortable". But before moving your heater inside the cab, check to be sure your hoses are installed correctly, check that out and go from there.
Ok well if I have it hooked up correctly and I am still not satisfied then I guess I can still try putting the air inlet ducted to the inside of the cab.

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if you decide you want a fuel fired heater kit for your truck, let me know. I have 2, new in the crate, NSN 2540-570-1356 Arctic Winterization Kits in my garage taking up room. They are looking for a new home. Preferably in a colder climate.

The winterfront, fuel-fired heater, and all the parts to install are in the kit. They haven't been touched since 1962. These kits are for GASOLINE trucks, or you can run them from a jerry can or a fuel tank on the fender. The heater lives under the hood on the left hand side fender.

Let me know if you are interested and I can email you more information.

Fuel-fired heaters will keep you VERY warm. Even in a canvas top.

Storm 51

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heater will keep you warm. The winter cover is a must especially for temps around 0 degrees. It will make your warmup time much faster and keep it running warm. If it gets too warm, just open the flap and it will drop the water temps right back down. Some even go as war as to get the whole insulation kit for the hood and side vents as well. That will seal in all the heat. For the heater, I would still wear a winter jacket in the cab because the cab isn't 100% air tight. We took the M35A2 out in 11 degree weather with the wind blowing at 15 mph. The temp ended up being below 0 degrees and it ran fine. As far as keeping the windshield clear the heater will help, but if it's snowing real hard and the wind is blowing, the glass will get covered in fog and or snow. It's not 100%. It just depends on what application you need it for. The water heater does great for me but some use a fuel heater. They tend to put out alot more btus. I would recommend while we are on the subject of putting in a glow plug into the water pump to help it warm the motor before trying to crank it. Let it sit for 4-6 hours depending on how cold and it will be much easier to start. After letting it sit for 4-6 hours the block should be pretty warm to the touch. Also think about investing in some battery warmers and have them plugged in before trying to crank on the batteries. It will take some wear and tear off of them when trying to start. Some go as far as to put heaters on the oil pan, etc.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

On the subject of cold stuff, For USMC survey I use a machine called the IPADS G, it uses satilites and laser ring gyros to acuratley determine position azimuth and elevation. Well long story short the backup battery on these use a 24V heating element and the mod just came out for us to remove all those heaters! I am thinking of wireing them in series and attaching them to the oil pan. It might work and it's better than tossing all those parts in the trash.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like a cool idea. Having bleeding edge technology to use to keep your 1971 truck oil pan (and maybe batteries) warm. That's just great!

Storm 51

rustystud

Well, if you decide you want a fuel fired heater kit for your truck, let me know. I have 2, new in the crate, NSN 2540-570-1356 Arctic Winterization Kits in my garage taking up room. They are looking for a new home. Preferably in a colder climate.

The winterfront, fuel-fired heater, and all the parts to install are in the kit. They haven't been touched since 1962. These kits are for GASOLINE trucks, or you can run them from a jerry can or a fuel tank on the fender. The heater lives under the hood on the left hand side fender.

Let me know if you are interested and I can email you more information.

Fuel-fired heaters will keep you VERY warm. Even in a canvas top.

Storm 51
Hello Storm, tried to send you a PM but your message center is full. I'm interested in your winter kit. I'm also here in WA. Woodinville to be exact. Send me a PM.
rustystud.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the mail box problem. It is fixed now and I've sent you an email.

I didn't know the box was full. It has been cleaned out.

Storm 51

Nomad1

So since it heating season again thought I'd chime in here about a couple of things. one is these heaters have valves on the heater hoses on the engine side and sometimes it's as simple as someone has closed them and that's why your heat doesn't work. Also your truck needs to heat up in order for the heating system to work. That's where the artic grill cover comes in handy. Check that your thermostat is working and your anti-freeze is full and tested to handle the colder tempatures. A freeze up would not be good. Putting shift boots on insulating the cab is a good :idea:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks