• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgraded the Fuel Pre-Filter on my MEP-803A

csheath

I decided to upgrade the fuel pre filter on my generator using a small engine filter. I have these on both of my tractors since correcting some tank issues on one of them. These are easy to see if they become restricted and save the expense and trouble caused by allowing the main filters to get clogged. It's a good thing I did since the coarse mesh screen filter on my machine was already half clogged.

All that is needed is:
qty 1 of a 1/8" male NPT to 5/16" hose fitting
qty 1 of a 1/8" female NPT to 5/16" hose fitting
qty 1 of a 5/16" small engine fuel filter

IMG_0543.jpg

Here are before and after photos

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

Who knows how much of this stuff already made it through the screen.

IMG_0545.jpg

USAMilRet

You also need the 33972 for diesel vs the 33002 which is for gasoline. A good idea though. You can use the G17 inline filters as a direct replacement for the metal screen inline filter.

I has always thought that the purpose of the screen filter was to break up into small particles anything that made it through the other pre filtering processes like the tank screen and external filtering of the fuel.

csheath

Everybody's a freakin critic lately.

You have that filter installed backwards.
The filter is installed correctly for the direction of flow.

You also need the 33972 for diesel vs the 33002 which is for gasoline. A good idea though. You can use the G17 inline filters as a direct replacement for the metal screen inline filter.

I has always thought that the purpose of the screen filter was to break up into small particles anything that made it through the other pre filtering processes like the tank screen and external filtering of the fuel.
Anybody that thinks a cellulose element filter won't work for diesel is wrong. Cellulose filter media is acceptable for Hydraulic Oils, Quench Oils, Insulating Oils, Synthetic Transformer Oils, Turbine Oils, Diesel Lube Oils, Seal Oils, Jet Fuel, and Gasoline. I have hundreds of hours on my tractors with these same exact filters on the supply lines.

Maybe you guys should store your fuel in a hollowed out watermelon. It's been suggested. Just sayin.

Zed254

I think you need a different kind of fuel filter for the watermelon storage facility. One of those special water separator / filters. And a real good sugar filter.....:beer:

USAMilRet

Everybody's a freakin critic lately.

The filter is installed correctly for the direction of flow.

Anybody that thinks a cellulose element filter won't work for diesel is wrong. Cellulose filter media is acceptable for Hydraulic Oils, Quench Oils, Insulating Oils, Synthetic Transformer Oils, Turbine Oils, Diesel Lube Oils, Seal Oils, Jet Fuel, and Gasoline. I have hundreds of hours on my tractors with these same exact filters on the supply lines.

Maybe you guys should store your fuel in a hollowed out watermelon. It's been suggested. Just sayin.
I'm just passing on to you the manufacturers recommendation. The MANUFACTURER recommended the 33972. I just passed that along for your general information. Personally I don't care if you use used toilet paper (they make excellent filters, unused).

They recommended the 33972 as they indicated on their website for diesel. Cellulose is excellent food.....

Zed254

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/33972.html

I believe, Sir, you are correct. 33972 is diesel and gas. Note at the end of the fleet filter page says.... Principle Application: Plastic Universal In-line fuel filter w/ 5/16" lines - can be used w/ gasoline or diesel fuel (33002 only to be used w/ gas)

I definitely like being able to see what's going on inside the filter.

USAMilRet

Accuracy of information is important. It is also helpful to the membership so they do not get side tracked on incorrect information that can lead to damage to these units. We all just want to get these issues resolved without causing further problems for the end user later on.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
While I understand you wanting to use something you are familiar with, the manufacturer suggest a certain product. There might be a reason too.

I also understand you wanting something different than what was original. I also see that the original Airtex G-17 filter has done its job.

I take care with what fuel I put into my units. I also maintain my fuel with additives, and start with a Premium Diesel 50+ cetane. I again filter the fuel from my large tanks when filling a generator.

The generators prior life might not be the same as my standard. The fuel cap could have been left off. The fuel could have been crap fuel to begin with. Seeing that much debris in the barrel filter leads my to believe that. That is also why it is recommended that all fuel be drained, and the fuel tank cleaned out. Filters all changed out to then have a good baseline from that point forward.

It just goes to show, that the course, little barrel filter does its job. I would first recommend just replacing the Airtex G-17 filter and move on. :)

csheath

This is my final take on filter choice. I have made a conscious, informed decision to continue using the paper element pre filter on all my diesel equipment.

The Microgard box is just labeled as a premium fuel filter. I doesn't say GASOLINE ONLY or DO NOT USE FOR DIESEL. It may well be manufactured by WIX and packaged under a different name for O'Reily. Either way the alarm set off by the chest beaters prompted me to contact WIX and ask why they did not recommend the paper element filter for diesel. Their response was the paper in the inline filter was not treated to repel water and may absorb water causing it to stop up. Apparently the larger filters for diesels are made with the same paper element material but the paper is treated to repel water and they are also used in conjunction with water separators.

I have not had any water problems since I started using these and if I do it seems it will just shut the engine down and give me early warning of such an issue. I see this as extra protection and not something to worry about.

I started using these on a backhoe that had rust in the tank when I bought it. After cleaning the tank and fuel system as best I could and installing the 33002 in front of the water separator it saved me from having to replace the expensive filter and having to clean all the lines again. The small filter catches any residual debris and stops the engine from running before it gets to far into the system as it was before. After replacing the $3 inline filter a couple of times the tractor has run without fail for two years. If the engine stops running I have a cheap visual means to see if it is fuel contamination without having to make major repairs. The actual restriction on this machine was an 1/8" spec of rust in a banjo fitting before the water separator and main filter. Enough had made it through the water separator before that to clog a $50 filter. The $50 filter was nothing compared to the time spent cleaning the system and trying to find the restriction caused by that small gob of rust compacted in the banjo fitting.

Zed254

Hey, you can't argue with your success with the paper filter and what you've done has worked for years. Thanks for the good info from the factory, too. But they confused me: a filter is wet with fuel....then gets a little wet with water....then the fuel pushes the water through and the paper is wet with fuel again. I'm thinking the factory is using the same paper in their filters, but charge a premium for that 'premium' paper treatment.

But I'm no filter expert.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks