• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upping the fuel

andybritt2002

hey guys i know this is an old post, but Ive been kinda searching and ive found the 2 nuts on the screw like in the pic, had to remove a little cover that was over it all. my issue is not sure how to turn it, the inner nut seems to be really shallow and cant get a open wrench on it without getting on the outside nut. anyone have any tips on getting this thing turned without breaking it inside? did you hold the threads with vice grips or something to keep it from turning? any info would be appreciated. my truck already had a manual non lighted pyro gauge installed when i bought it from another person, but doesnt appear fuel has been tampered with.

DieselBob

I used this on this on the inner nut due to the fact I already had a set.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00983457000P?vName=Sears%20Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Building%20&%20Remodeling&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

or you could just grind down a wrench you already have to fit the inner nut. I then just held the end of the shaft with small pliers while turning the inner nut. Have already gone a complete turn and only picked up about 100 deg. on the pyro. Still can't hit 1200 on a steady uphill run.

andybritt2002

Thanks for the info DieselBob, I might grab a thin wrench set like that this upcomming weekend and try agian. So to get it straight .. turn the outside nut counter clockwise a bit to back it up, hold the screw with pliers, turn the inside nut clockwise a turn or so, check temps warmed up under some throttle. and put outside nut back to hold it in place ? my reason for wanting to do this is under decent acceleration/throttle it blows kinda blue/white smoke. idle its clear. truck has 12.1k miles and seems to run great. im hoping i can blacken it up a bit

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The end of the screw has an allen head inside it, like a set screw. Then you can turn the outside nut by using an allen on the screw. I use a thin set wrenches made for die grinders to adjust.

Dennis

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strecth, are you talking about the servo pressure screw, or the max fuel rate screw? I haven't noticed a hex socket in the end of either.

DieselBob

Thats pretty much it although I would limit the adjustment to maybe a 1/2 turn to start with and lock the 2 nuts before you test drive. A nice steady full throttle run up a hill will give a better indication of EGT build up.

andybritt2002

ill look for the hex part of the screw, i didnt notice it, didnt look like there would even be enough clearence to get one in there. ill have to check it out when its daylight.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strecth, are you talking about the servo pressure screw, or the max fuel rate screw? I haven't noticed a hex socket in the end of either.
Yea servo has hex and it the wrong place to be.

Also Bjorn pic the MM is the smoke cam and no droop screw shown on that pump. Here is where you add fuel to the lower end of rpm scale.

Last edited:
Well I played with the magic screw today. Holy elephant piles. My deuce is like a whole other animal. I really need an EGT guage now but I ran it for a test run pulling my 27' lowboy trailer loaded with a 10,000 lb truck. The truck pulled out and went like a champ. I could run 55 on the flats real easy and it would pull most hills without downshifting more than once. I turned the nut 5 flats and it'll blow a little smoke now but still not bad. After pulling the mountain the engine temp was around 210 and I pulled the steep part in low range 5th and it would cruise right along could used another gear in lowrange. lol. One I get an EGT guage I'm gonna play with it more but I'm happy for now. Has anyone ever tried to make an air to air for a deuce?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, Better get that pyro asap. I will bet you're in the danger zone.

3d63

When I turned the pump up on my duce I had to take my tappet whench to the belt grinder to get it thin enough to hold the inside nut and used a 3/4 inch impact gun to loosen the outer lock nut!:cookoo: Just kidding be patiant with this dont want to break any thing here $$$$. I installed the isspro Turbocater R609 .running 1050 post turbo 7.5 psi under load and happy with it.

3d63

The wrench I had was a little to thick I just thinned it a little and used a open end on the outer .It went with out any problems . But sometimes those easy little adjustments can turn into a nightmare project that involves drills easy outs and a lot of swearing. does this only happen to me?

andybritt2002

Hey guys, I just turned mine up, under heavy accel it blows a pretty big puff. i took a video of just revvin a little in neutral, my EGTs are about 1000 PRE turbo driving hard on the roads, i dont have a PSI gauge for the turbo yet . let me know if you guys think i should back down or leave it be .. please..

PS i dont really plan on ever towing anything. ive got a pretty decent tow rig

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkYyhC86bo[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks