• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Urgent... Minor Radiator leak fix?

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

What is a quick & easy fix to stop a minor leak in my radiator?

I checked my radiator and I saw that is actually where the leak is.

Would alumaseal be okay? or something else?

I need to know asap, so I can drive home from work tonight.

Thank you, good night, God bless you....

CJ

jw4x4

For temporary fixes on small leaks, I have had great results with Bard's Stop Leak and aluma-seal. Other quick fixes (and they DO work) include instant mashed potato flakes, or cracked pepper.

CycleJay

Hello Guys,

thanks for the tips.

since I work in a professional kitchen, I could use black pepper, but how much?

Also, would alumaseal cause problems later? IF I did use it.

Thanks

CJ

CycleJay

Hi guys,

By the way, if I use black pepper, should I use whole black pepper or ground?

Thanks

CJ

P.s. Home is about 14 miles away, and as far as I can tell, the leak is somewhere
near the bottom corner on the passenger side, under the front battery area..

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I WILL NOT dump a bunch of crap in my radiator-period. Fix it right or sell it and get a Hyundai.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Army they taught us that if there was a tactical emergency and eggs were available, to put two eggs in the radiator. As the egg material leaks out of the hole, it seals it off very quickly. However, I can't imagine the mess that would make of the cooling system.

As hndrsonj stated above, I would fix it right and not put anything in my radiator. Perhaps you can leave the cap off so that pressure doesn't build and top it off several times on the way home.

CycleJay

Hi all,
Thanks again for the tips.. I just topped it off.. and will go home now.
I did NOT put anything in it at all, I will get it done right instead.
So to avoid problems later.

Good night,

CJ

67_C-30

I WILL NOT dump a bunch of crap in my radiator-period. Fix it right or sell it and get a Hyundai.

I agree, and if the same thing happened to my M1009 today, I'd fix it correctly.
However, sometimes fixing it right - right now - isn't an option. Pepper will get you home, and it won't hurt anything. From what I'd read from his posts, CycleJay is struggling right now, so this would be a temporary fix.

67_C-30

Hi all,
Thanks again for the tips.. I just topped it off.. and will go home now.
I did NOT put anything in it at all, I will get it done right instead.
So to avoid problems later.

Good night,

CJ
Good deal. You may want to stop halfway and make sure you still see antifreeze in your reservoir tank.

91W350

On slow leaks, just fill the radiator to the filler neck and only turn the cap halfway closed to the safety catch so the system cannot build pressure. You would be surprised at how far you can drive, even in warm weather with a slow leak that does not become a spraying leak. If you do that, your reservoir means nothing, with a hole in the radiator, it does not mean much anyway.

Glen

D T

I would not use Barrs leak,thats the stuff that gives you problems later,I like alumaseal,or silver seal, but I would only use a little bit ,I never use the whole tube ,everybody is right ,fix it right ,but alumaseal will get you home,I put a little pinch in my radiator everyonce in a while just for good measure

Milbikes

I used to have a Suzuki GT750 water buffalo, and the dealer sold radiator sealer to put in it even if it wasn't leaking....almost a preemptive thing. H.