• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

urgent usarmy paint questions

reom35a2fluiter

found a batch of usarmy paint which is very uncomon overhere in the Netherlands.

MIL-DTL-53039C. Type I
Tan 686A

My truck is restored in 1st Gulfwar outfit. I would like to know if this is the same
paint as used in 1990? And is this paint bad for health? Because CARC painted can cause cancer?

I hope you can help me?

Regards,
Stefan

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Tan is Tan. Has not changed color sense first gulf war. All paint can kill you. Just paint like you would any other.. mask... gloves... goggles... and in a WELL vented area or out side. Just not under a tree or when raining.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tan is tan, but there are different shades. 686A is the correct color for the Gulf War and I think it is still current for the current conflict. CARC should best be applied while wearing a full fresh air respirator. WESTECH is correct...all paint can kill you.

Bill W

686A should be a two part carc paint.
I painted my Land Rover Lightweight with 686B ( single part carc ) which is less volitle.
Long story short yes its the correct color for Gulf war. I read that 686 was copied from the british desert tan to replace our Tan color we had at the time. I had painted a fuel storage tank I had with our old (US) version Tan and it was alot lighter in color than the 686

Attachments

Last edited:

Katahdin

Whereas CARC is especially bad for you in its liquid and airborne form, there is no link between CARC and Cancer, or at least none documented that I've been able to find.

The solvents used to thin the Carc are bad too, so take all necessary safety and respiratory precautions seriously.

reom35a2fluiter

Is this carc paint than?
Or should it be better to use modern paint on thinner base? Like I normally do with RAL1001 color. But iam not really satisfied with this color.

SteveKuhn

If you Google "Kentzen Zenthane", you'll see that the mfr's site says straight out that it's CARC.

Steve

"Hentzen Coatings revolutionized CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) painting with the introduction of Zenthane® in the early 1980s. Today Zenthane® is the premier CARC coating used by more manufacturers and coaters of military hardware than any other CARC."