• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Military Trailer Wiring Question

Mav204

Thinking of getting a trailer, I am looking for help with the wiring:

1) What do you use to connect from a OEM Jeep Tow package?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12...lL0hoC4D3w_wcB

2) With what bulbs do you replace with to go from 24V to 12V?

3) Wiring and location of license plate?

I found a company on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that will make a working harness from the OEM Jeep tow package to a NATO plug, is that the easiest way?

Thanks,

John Galt

Bulbs depend on which trailer you get.

It's pretty easy to connect a short 7 or 4 pin into the military junction box. It's plug and play if you order the rubber military connectors.

Unless you only play to tow military trailers, I would not have a Nato receptical installed on the jeep. The mil plug is heavy and may not reach your receptical.

Been running mine without a plate light. Plate is mounted on drivers side fender.

You can buy small led plate lights online. I have a set that replace the bolts I am using to hold the plate on the fender, just need to install them.

Mav204

Thanks John, can I get pictures of how you are connecting to the rubber military connectors or where you got them? I'm looking at an M105A2 trailer. not doing long tows, just around town with misc home stuff

Csm Davis

Thanks John, can I get pictures of how you are connecting to the rubber military connectors or where you got them? I'm looking at an M105A2 trailer. not doing long tows, just around town with misc home stuff
Mav I think you will find the 105 to be to heavy for the jeep a 101 or 1101 would be a better match for a jeep.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

5,000 lbs is max weight I think empty weight is 3,000 lbs. I don't think I'll be over 4,000 lbs that much. Is 4,000 lbs to much to tow? Also the connector I found is this one.

https://trailerpartssupplies.com/adapters/3925-nato-adapter-4-pin-flat-to-12-pin-nato-trailer.html

It does not have the brakes connected and at 5,000 lbs if I get that heavy is that dangerous with just using jeep brakes?
The connection you found looks fine.
Here's the question about your jeep, what does it weigh? You never want a bumper pulled or hitch pulled trailer to out weigh the vehicle, it can and will push the jeep around and cause a crash.

Mav204

I'm around 4,500-5,000 Lbs, but I'll look more into it, thanks for the info, looks like Im right at the equal weight.

From the initial looks, looks like the M1101 is the best as its lighter,

John Galt

As others have said, a 105 is large for a jeep. I recovered a 105 with my Tundra, it went fine but would not want to do it regularly or with any cargo.

Will be a day or so but I will post a link where I got the rubber connectors.

Csm Davis

I have the omni - volt LED taillights on mine and just added a 5 pin wire and spliced in and left the military harness intact to be used behind my MV'S.

Last edited:

jasonjc

Just did a check on trailer towing laws in Ohio. All trailers over 2000lbs need brakes. Just saying , it the law , just letting you know FYI.

Ratch

Thinking of getting a trailer, I am looking for help with the wiring:

1) What do you use to connect from a OEM Jeep Tow package?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12...lL0hoC4D3w_wcB

2) With what bulbs do you replace with to go from 24V to 12V?

3) Wiring and location of license plate?

I found a company on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that will make a working harness from the OEM Jeep tow package to a NATO plug, is that the easiest way?

Thanks,

I'll agree with everyone else that the 105 is too big for a vehicle with a Jeep wheelbase and drivetrain. I'll add that there is no reason to get a 105 other than price and availability if you're only planning to haul 1000lb loads. Your Jeep can't activate the brakes on the 105, which makes it 4000lbs of dead load pushing against your light suv's brakes when you stop.
You (and everyone on the road around you) are much better off with an M101, as it also has a capacity of 2000 pounds, but has surge brakes that your Jeep will operate, and it's light enough to move around a little by hand. The 105 is not easy to move around without a vehicle, and even with a vehicle, will probably be tough to maneuver on challenging terrain (such as over a curb).
Even the 101 loaded will be a little challenging for a Jeep.
An 1101 would be oversized like the 105, though lighter. While it's in your weight requirements, the dynamics of towing a trailer wider than your tow vehicle make it uncomfortable.
If you could find them and your load dimensions would fit, you'd be even better off with an M100 or M416, but those are in high demand and not common.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks