• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US to transfer HMMWVS to Iraq

GoldComet6

JUST FYI........there goes lots of vehicles and potential parts!!

US Plans to Transfer 8,000 Hummers to Iraq

27-Apr-2009

RESET of the US Army’s Vehicle Fleet Continues“” covers the USA’s HMMWV RECAP program, while noting that the extra weight of the add-on armor was wearing out Hummers to the point where even RESET/RECAP programs may not be able to extend their life much. One solution is to turn them over to Iraqi forces, who are often driving unarmored pickup trucks.
On Jan 17/08, a ceremony in Taji, Iraq marked the beginning of a program to refurbish and transfer more than 4,244 up-armored Humvees from US inventory to the government of Iraq by the end of 2008, and reach more than 8,000 Hummers transferred by the end of 2009. So, how are they doing?
These Humvees start the transition process at the Camp Taji Redistribution Property Assistance Team Yard, a few miles north of Baghdad. By the time the January 2008 ceremony took place, 627 vehicles were already staged in the holding yard. They’ll receive a maintenance overhaul of brakes, belts and fluids, and can need to be shipped out for more extensive work if necessary. Once the vehicles are deemed fit, the appropriate paint scheme is applied, and quality assurance checks are conducted. Then the vehicles are be transferred to the government of Iraq.

The 13-month contract can be extended by an additional 6 months, and is expected to generate more than 500 jobs, while serving as an on-the-job training mechanism for Iraqi soldiers who have completed their initial training. US DSCA release.

Updates: April 22/09: The transfer of the 5,000th M1114 HMMWV to the Iraqi Security Forces. According to MNF-I:

“The M1114 Transfer Program employs over 521 Iraqi local nationals from across the country…. This two year program refurbishes M1114’s in accordance to the Inspect and Repair Only as Necessary standards. The IROAN process comprises three phases cumulating [sic] in painting the M1114 with the Iraqi Army and Iraqi Ministry of Interior color schemes.
Initially, the production goals were to deliver 200 vehicles in March 2008 and 400 vehicles per month from April 2008 onwards. The M1114 Transfer Program goal is to deliver over 8000 M1114 HMMWV’s to the GoI by July 2009.”

Jan 16/09: A Multi-National Force – Iraq release covers ongoing progress with this program.
Col. Michael Sage, MNSTC-I supply division, manages an approximate $200 million contract to refurbish the vehicles before they are sold to the Iraqis.
The USAF-controlled RPAT main office validates cleared humvees at a rate of 50 per week, and assigns a batch number for transfer to the Iraqi Ministry of Defense. Since the program’s inception, it has transferred more than 3,000 humvees to the Iraqis to date, at an average rate of 400 vehicles per month.
March 13/08: The Iraqi Army’s 5th Division receives the first 45 up-armored Humvees through the HMMWV transfer program, following a graduation ceremony of the first HMMWV driver training course held in Taji, Iraq. Taji is also the home of Iraq’s lone armored division (9th division). DSCA release.

dm22630

I am glad to see that there will be iraqis in them getting shot at instead of US soldiers!

IF they were shipped back here....they wouldnt be surplussed out anyway. They would be crushed & scrapped. I think this is great news. These are the "baby steps" we need to take in order to get the hell out of the middle east.

GOOD!

Also....

200 million is not much $$$ in the defense depts budget. I.E. ---> ONE F-35 Lightning II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia costs $83 MILLION!

The topic of this thread should be "Look how many AMERICAN lives will be saved by giving hummers away"

2cents

Tanner

The Iraqis probably won't be getting much use out of them - other than learning to fix swollen glow plugs, burnt starters, bad starter relays, leaky TH400 transmissions, wobbly harmonic balancers, cracked blocks, etc...
rofl

'Tanner'

wdbtchr

Between the agreement with manufacturer not to bring them back to surplus and the government's desire that you buy a new economy car, forget about ever seeing them over here. They'll probably send the one over here over there.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree with the concept of giving Iraq everything it needs so our warriors can leave.
However I suggest each piece of equipment be fitted with a destruct mechanism...just in case we have to go back!!!:roll:

GoldComet6

Recent update.....

July 7, 2009:

AECOM Government Services Inc. in Fort Worth, TX received a $28.3 million cost-plus-fixed-fee contract for maintenance and repair of the final 2,200 M1114 up-armored vehicles for transfer to the Iraqi Army.
Work is to be performed in Iraq, with an estimated completion date of Jan 31/10. One bid solicited with one bid received by the Rock Island Contracting Center in Rock Island, IL.

It all about making some $$$$$$$$ for the american companies. But when I left Iraq in 2005 we left some beat up HMMWVs that would require some deep pockets to fix. Dont worry when the **** hits the fan and Iraq turns against us as they will. They will need spare parts and that my friend is what it is really all about. Just remenber, Iraq, in Gulf War I when they couldn't get enough plans to fly.

GoldComet6

Of course Saddam's ongoing efforts to "remove" pilots (and army generals) that weren't loyal enough played a big role in that too. They got the heck outta Dodge when the shooting started!!! Remember how many aircraft were flown across the border and ended up in Iran?

Tanner

So - if Uncle Sam is giving 8,000 Hummers to Iraq, do 8,000 kisses go with it? Work with me here, fellas...

Maybe they could be counted in the CARS (Cash for Clunkers) program & improve sales at the US imported car dealership? :roll:

'Tanner'

SSG TROLL

hey I was on a team that was with the 5th IA they all seemed pretty ****ed good soldiers, just bad supply issues and work was being done on that. I never in the seven months living with them on thier base felt they were incompantent or anything.

kc5mzd

Aren't we fighting wars against enough enemies that are using US weapons against us now? Why give them 8000 more...

Snarky

No offense to hummer owners, but while it is a cool looking vehicle, nobody can doubt that the 6.5 is a dog, and the hummer is uncomfortable and unreliable at best. The vehicle was meant to be a jeep that doesn't flip over with a higher ground clearance than the CUCV blazers, not an armored fighting vehicle.

Plus, you know that fiscal responsibly is that the bottom of the food chain with our current government, they don't care if people are willing to pay 20k for a worn out hummer, they just want to win the hearts and minds of those would would rather stab our hearts and cut off our minds.

At least we have some superior armored fast attack vehicles to combat our future enemy hummer threat.

Tanner

No offense to hummer owners, but while it is a cool looking vehicle, nobody can doubt that the 6.5 is a dog, and the hummer is uncomfortable and unreliable at best. The vehicle was meant to be a jeep that doesn't flip over with a higher ground clearance than the CUCV blazers, not an armored fighting vehicle.

Plus, you know that fiscal responsibly is that the bottom of the food chain with our current government, they don't care if people are willing to pay 20k for a worn out hummer, they just want to win the hearts and minds of those would would rather stab our hearts and cut off our minds.

At least we have some superior armored fast attack vehicles to combat our future enemy hummer threat.
Snarky -

I don't think we should be worried about the potential of Iraqi's using the HUMVEE's against us... when it won't start due to glow plug or relay issues, or the crank breaks, or the transmission gives up the ghost, the only way they could be used against us is if they drop them from the sky...
:-D

'Tanner'

SSG TROLL

most Iraqi soldier's like us and are trying to be like my platoon and company! We helped train them and the average soldier loves his country just like we do. As for them turning on us it hasn't really happened yet sometimes yes because of trigger happy soldiers but no real threat we train and fight alongside them. I may not like our current commander n chief but the humvee sales started years ago and most if not all are bought buy the IDF with their own money like we do in the states.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks