• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Colors for Early M35

Paint Scheme

• USAF Camo of Era

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 3 Color Woodland

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a USAF 1966 KJ that was converted from a gasser. The old style tail lights, old exhaust, extra radiator space, USAF safety stickers, etc..etc.. leads me to believe this. The old style gas tank is military in nature but nothing I can visually reference from searching. The multi in it now was cast in 1966 so I'm assuming when they overhauled this deuce into an A2 model they redid the year on the paperwork as well.

Cutting to the point, since the vehicle's exterior is still stock as a gasser, what would be the correct paint scheme for it in the USAF assuming 1966 or prior? Would it be worth restoring an older AF truck to her colors or just going with standard 3 color camo?

Edit: Added more pictures. The bed did not come with this truck originally. You can tell the driver side step and the fuel tank were swapped.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tank isn't origional. By 1966 gassers should have been gone. I'd guess it's an A1 or possibly an early A2. I don't see any gasser specific components. I'd paint strata blue.

goldneagle

Well the M52A2 you are buying from me is also a Air Force truck. It has Strata Blue all over under the layers of pealing paint. Just think you will have a nice set of AF trucks. fat lady sings

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tank isn't origional. By 1966 gassers should have been gone. I'd guess it's an A1 or possibly an early A2. I don't see any gasser specific components. I'd paint strata blue.
When was the A1 replaced from service? I know gassers should have been gone long before 1966 but some slip..who knows.

Slightly biased opinion with that Blue MV in your avatar... :beer:
:nothingfunny::nothingfunny:
Never any bias for blue huh GE? :razz:

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There was a strata blue deuce on ebay about 6 months ago and it looked awesome.

I am going to go look for it.

In the meantime, I'd paint your deuce blue with USAF markings.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the frame VIN read? By 1966 newly aquired trucks were not painted strata blue in the AF.

saddamsnightmare

September 18th, 2012.

Go with Strata Blue....You'll feel like you were in Doctor Strangelove with it!:driver:

If in doubt, sand some area of the undercarriage you have to touch up anyway, you'll find out what her original color was and probably everything after it! We had a1969 Chevrolet Step Van from the AF and it was Strata Blue from day one with all the lights for "Follow Me!" to guide the bombers into their revetments!

Last edited:

tamangel

The deuces and 715's (also had a wrecker, M37, 151 jeep, etc..) I drove in the AF ( Tac Control Squadron at Cannon AFB/New Mexico) in the early 70's weren't camo or blue..All were straight OD color..

Mike W

Last edited:

RangerBob

Not only will going blue be authentic, it will also stand out from all of the olive drab... and look really, really sharp to boot!

For your consideration, Exhibits A-H...

Musk%252520Ox,jpeg.jpgP5260428.jpg
Strata%20Blue%20IMAG0742.jpgFWD-MM1_3.jpg
Ed%20M37%20C.jpgblue_truck05.jpg
blue_truck01.jpgDSC08944%20(Medium).JPG

Aim high! :mrgreen:

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the frame VIN read? By 1966 newly aquired trucks were not painted strata blue in the AF.
The SF-97 says 00012526329 but I haven't gotten to it on the frame yet. It has about five layers of paint from the V-FD. I'll get back to you on this.

September 18th, 2012.

Go with Strata Blue....You'll feel like you were in Doctor Strangelove with it!:driver:
Woo..good point good sir. :mrgreen:

Not only will going blue be authentic, it will also stand out from all of the olive drab... and look really, really sharp to boot! Aim high! :mrgreen:
Not to delegate the legwork here but any references to AF markings on a deuce? I'd really like to make it Blue with a legitimate history behind it.

Last edited:

RangerBob

I'll dig out a link to my thread on USAF markings in a moment. Somewhere in that thread are links to the TOs describing USAF markings. But the most important part is the USAF Registration number that should be on your dataplate or on your doors under a layer or two of paint. Do you have that number? If it is really a 1966, the number will be something like 66Bnnnn, or 66Cnnnn, or maybe even 66Knnnn.

Ok, the thread about reg numbers, which has links to the marking TOs in a couple of posts...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/76870-usaf-ground-vehicle-registration-numbers.html

After a cup-o-joe, I'll see if I can locate the relevant pages in the TOs.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll dig out a link to my thread on USAF markings in a moment. Somewhere in that thread are links to the TOs describing USAF markings. But the most important part is the USAF Registration number that should be on your dataplate or on your doors under a layer or two of paint. Do you have that number? If it is really a 1966, the number will be something like 66Bnnnn, or 66Cnnnn, or maybe even 66Knnnn.

Ok, the thread about reg numbers, which has links to the marking TOs in a couple of posts...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/76870-usaf-ground-vehicle-registration-numbers.html

After a cup-o-joe, I'll see if I can locate the relevant pages in the TOs.
Excellent info! I don't have the numbers as I didn't knew they existed (dur) but also the FD painted it Red. I'll take a grinder to it this weekend and see what I can come up with. [thumbzup]