• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF PJ Mini Trail JR80 Motorcycle ?

CTP

I purchased this machine from an individual who bought it on Gov. Liq. and picked it up in KY. I have his original receipt from GL as well as the DTID number. It obviously is a mil spec machine with the IR headlight and blacked out scheme. It is based upon a JR80 Suzuki. A very fast 5 speed mini wheelie machine. A Baha lighting kit is under the seat with capacitor to eliminate battery need. The headlight may be working?? How could I know? The headlight bezel is machine shop made and assembled. It was entirely flat black when I got it and I added the gloss black stenciling. I have been trying to gather any and all info regarding it's authenticity and use. Over the weekend at a swap meet an individual enlightened me somewhat after assuring I had proper release paperwork for it. He said that this is one of approx. 20 JR80's assembled and used exclusively by the AF PJ's in Bosnia. The headlight may be working?? How could I know? They were assembled in the machine shop on the base and with such low requirement numbers no official NSN s were assigned to them. Can anyone here confirm/deny these stories or give me more info. I would love to find a pic of it in action...

IMG_4017.jpgIMG_4020.jpgIMG_4019.jpgIMG_4018.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I don't know how I missed this back when you posted. Yes they are real, I had 3 of them that I picked up a month or two before that one came up for auction in 2013.80Jr 017.jpg The ones at Blue Grass were from the 1st bn 75 Ranger Reg.The USAF spec ops folks CCT'S used the M1030 USAF1030.jpgM1030B1 USAF1030B1a.jpg DS80 or jr at least all the pictures of them I have found that's what they are riding. The latest being post tsunami in Japan.ds80 c130.jpg ds80 usaf.jpg
The Rangers started to get them back around 2002 and first used the DS80 and in 2004 bought 20 of the 80jr's as they were easier to rig for air drop then the 250 or 650. The sale mine came out of had 2 desert and 3 black and none had the light system put on and still had IR chem lights zip tied on them. 80Jr 011.jpg Yours and a couple more without lights were there and had not been lotted for sale yet. The spark arrestor on all of mine were almost plugged solid but after a quick soak in solvent all ran fine.
I just picked up a book this weekend Weapons of the U.S. Army Rangers 2005 that has one picture of a DS80 with light and an added foot long silencer. View attachment DS80 sliencer.pdf They refer to both of them as DS80's and one pic of a 80jr that might be yours, has the cloth covers on shock tubes. View attachment 80jr lightbk.pdf I sold my two extra ones last year to other collectors. Here is another USAF pic of KLX110 special-tactics-minibike.jpg there is also a 2004 Popular Mechanics article on Rangers that has mention of them.

Last edited:

CTP

Wow, Wow! You have truly made my day! I love the little bike. I have had many offers and kids drooling over it. Now I can back up what I have known to be true. Such a cool piece. I really appreciate the input! I think that is my bike in the pic by the way!
I have just ordered the book.

Last edited:

CTP

Thanks again. I an going to repair it to military specs. I have gotten the book you mentioned which had the last picture you posted (in front of the HUMVEE). WHere did you find the other pictures?

CTP

You've done all the work. The book is very good by the way. I have copied the pics you posted to add to the bikes "provenance". I had it at Carlisle last week and the story just blows people away especially with the pics to back it up!

B3.3T

It is a minibike, but it can be carried on the MH-6 Little Birds, anything bigger, and even jumped. They've proven themselves very handy for FAC and Pathfinder missions. Fast, quiet, reliable, and can haul a troop with a decent amount of gear. The SAS and Pathfinders use them as well.

B3.3T

The USAF currently use Kawasaki KLX-110 mini cycles. That's what's in all the recent photos. There are a few Honda XR-100s, too.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I got a lead coming back from the Findlay armed forces day show last month and though it was out of the way it got me off I-70 in MO which is the worst part of the trip. I was told it came out with a load of scrap from LRAFB. Now that I got it back together and running here it is, one of the AF KLX 110 4 stroke, 3 speed auto 2008. The plastic was all gone along with smashed rear wheel, plus handle bars, swing arm and muffler where bent so bad I to replace them, I think damage was from a bad plf or whatever.
duringDSCN3745.jpg DSCN3747.jpg afterDSCN3775.jpg DSCN3776.jpg DSCN3777.jpg
while looking for info found these guys if you want to buy a late model one
http://www.milatv.com/bm110-klx110.php

Attachments

Last edited:

khestee

Small so they can be transported easily, used to quickly check runways during & after airfield assaults. Obviously has other operational uses and is a lot quicker then running the length of a runway to ensure it is operational. Not a long range tactical vehicle, been around and used by Army also for years, several different models and brands.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks