• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Use oil pan gasket, or not?

USAWEAPON777

Well after driving my cucv around for a bit its minor issues have shown. Including a rear axle cap leak, steering box leak, and oil pan leak.

Now i went and got the oil pan gasket and seal, but now after looking through the TIM it says that for 84-87 trucks to just use RTV sealent. My truck is an 86' and I am wondering should i return the oil pan gasket. Or should i use both? I'm just curious since the gasket says its for 82-91 6.2's

Any help appreciated

4bogginchevys

Use the gasket, if it's like a standard Gm engine (still a little green on the diesel) you might have to use a little sealant at the "corners" of the gasket. I've come to believe that rtv is crappy, "right stuff" is a better bet....one you cant lose. :driver:

eric_banks32

"right stuff" is bada$$. I use that stuff for everything. So yeah use the gasket with a thin layer of right stuff and it will seal up great. Don't forget to retighten the bolts after a day or so if its a cork gasket

burbn10

Permatex Ultra-Black gasket maker works pretty good for sealing up things that come into contact with oil. They make it in an aerosol propelled dispenser bottle too which is awesome.

91W350

Be easy on the RTV, I have not seen a 6.2 go down because of it, but I sure have seen a lot of V8s that were hammered from RTV excess getting into the oil pan. It gets sucked up onto the oil pickup screen and clogs it. The stuff is made to be petroleum resistant, so it does not break down. I cringe when I see guys pouring a big bead on their pan rails instead of a gasket. I would rather have a small seep than plug the oil screen. It is a fantastic product, just be careful in it use. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks