• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used Banks Sidewinder - to buy or not?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you guys use the banks kit do you use the long style injectors or switch to the shorter 6.5 turbo injectors? Just curious.
I used the stock injectors on my truck.

The beauty of the Banks kit is that everything fits and is designed well. It doesn't overpower and blow the stock engine. The only drawback I have experienced is the requirement to closely watch the EGT under heavy loading and let off when necessary. Some folks are comfortable with 1200-1300 EGTs, but I'm not one of them. I keep it under 1100, which sometimes means downshifting and slowing down a bit. I've thought about a small intercooler, but it's never been that big of a problem for me.

welpro222

I love mine so much, I got another kit for $1500 new for my other 6.2 truck. I'm running 10 psi max and it will run at 1000-1050 egt on a good long hill, also the coolant temp will go up to around 220. This setup is on a 1987 suburban with a 4inch lift and big humvee tires, with dana 60/14 bolt axles. The installed a new injector pump from a humvee and turned it up 3/16 turn, so far so good.

svlsmokey

Update: The starter had gone bad - probably all of the extra cranking. I did the Doghead relay upgrade while I was at it. Tightened a loose fuel line which was allowing the fuel to drain down from the engine. It might have been letting air in as well 'cause it's running smooth now. Still have to try it out on the road and test the EGT's with a load but its looking hopeful.

svlsmokey

The throttle is sticky when the engine is cold. I'll give it some throttle to get up the driveway and then it'll want to keep going - revs up pretty high when I put it in park. I have to pop the hood and manually pull the throttle lever forward so it'll idle down. Seems like that solenoid might be sticking.

Also, the idle seems kind of high even when its warmed up. Manual adjustment of the throttle lever doesn't seem to help that though.