• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used motor oil as undercoating

n8roro

Does anyone do this? It seems like a good idea. I have very little rust now, and want to keep the cancer away.

diesel583

Mine blew an oil cooler line a few years ago, coated the whole underside. The only thing I can see it was filthy to work on and didn't do anything for rust

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know a few folks that do it around here, seems to work pretty well for cheap.

I love how the only other replies are from guys that don't see much snow and salt on their roads!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a few folks that do it around here, seems to work pretty well for cheap.

I love how the only other replies are from guys that don't see much snow and salt on their roads!
In all seriousness, i grew up in KY and I've lived in some pretty cold climates with lots of snow and salt. I've seen people add oil under the rockers and in crevices where rust is typically the worst. It most certainly seemed like a worthwhile endeavor...

Drock

I met an old guy who lived on the ocean in Ponce Inlet Florida. He was the original owner of a 1969 dodge dart he kept in his garage, and drove regularly. The car was like new inside & out and still in it's original paint. No small feet for Florida, much less buy the ocean. Apparently he liked to wash the car weekly with WD40.

dependable

I know several guys who swear by oil undercoating, spray it on with oil undercoating gun every fall.. Used oil is free, but more of a mess for sure. Cheep new oil, such as generic 10W hydraulic oil does as good a job with much less mess. Used hydraulic oil would be my choice over used motor oil, less mess, still free.

The only reason I have held off is I try to get around cleaning up and painting the frames and undersides of all my trucks with rustolium, and after the oil coating, it will never stick as well. Probably going to go for it this fall on a couple trucks I won't get around to painting, as once they start, rust around here is fast. Salt in the air all the time, salt on the roads in winter.

MarcusOReallyus

You guys know you can buy a product that is actually made for this purpose(it's called undercoating),right?

Here's one brand http://hudsonoilcoating.com/fluid-film-oil-undercoating/

A google search for "undercoating oil", can help get ideas too.
Fluid Film is great stuff. Lanolin based, so it's not harmful to the environment, not carcinogenic, and much less messy than used motor oil. There's a guy on a Jeep forum who decided to give it a test by stripping part of his underbody to bare metal, about a 2" square. He lives in upstate NY, IIRC, and applies Fluid Film every year for about 5 years now. No rust yet.

That said, I'm sure used motor oil is well-proven to slow down the rusting process, and it's cheap.

Bighorn

I wouldn't spray motor oil around because it attracts dirt and would be a mess to work on.
But PAM non stick coating sprayed in the fenderwells before a mud run will aid cleanup afterwards.
It is easy to wash off.

As for leaving an oil residue of any kind on metal;
Wouldn't you think road salt would contaminate the oil and cause it to be adhered to the surface?

Csm Davis

I met an old guy who lived on the ocean in Ponce Inlet Florida. He was the original owner of a 1969 dodge dart he kept in his garage, and drove regularly. The car was like new inside & out and still in it's original paint. No small feet for Florida, much less buy the ocean. Apparently he liked to wash the car weekly with WD40.
As for the whole CUCV I would use the WD-40 it makes carc look new and is easy to use, doesn't last as long as oil but not as hard to apply.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make an undercoating.

https://www.fluoramics.com/hinderrust/

If you buy any of their Hinderrust USE GLOVES. That stuff gets on your fingers and it behaves in a not so nice fashion ad you don't want it in your eyes. They call it surface active which means it spreads out over everything when applied. I find it is a pain in the butt to work with but it works.

Spray the underside of the CUCV and stand back.

Ordak

I have put used oil on my 04 Silverado and it did slow down rust. I mixed light weight oil with the used motor oil to get it spray out of a spray bottle. It made the job easier that spraying with an old paint sprayer. My neighbor does use Fluid Film and it does work very well but anytime he works on it he cusses because it is very goopy and is like working with a small layer of wax or grease on everything. I would put on what ever is easier to get. If you change your own oil and have a bunch left over just grab a spray bottle and some light weight oil and go to work. If not use fluid film or something similar. Putting used oil or Fluid Film on is better than putting nothing on from my experience.

Last edited:

ssdvc

You guys know you can buy a product that is actually made for this purpose(it's called undercoating),right?

Here's one brand http://hudsonoilcoating.com/fluid-film-oil-undercoating/

A google search for "undercoating oil", can help get ideas too.
This is what I use. Works great, creeps into the little nooks and cavities and will last the winter. I am about to re-coat the underside, inside doors and tailgate and anywhere else that road salt crap can sit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks