• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used motor oil

baja_power

I know if its thinned down with gas you can use it. But what about synthetic oil? anyone ever used it? say 5 gallons of synth. oil mixed in with 45 gallons of diesel to have a full tank

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your FDC is hooked up!. If your worried about it blending take a cup full and stir it into some diesel in a jar. If it settels or floats to the top i wouldn't try it. I doubt it will though. It should mix rather well. I've ran a lot of used oil through mine with out any trouble. Other than clogging primary fuel filters. Oil seems to cut the primary filter life alot. I keep spares under the seat.
I have enough oil in the tank now to make the exaust smoke turn blue. Some people call this black diesel. If your only putting 5 gallons in with a full tank, you probally won't notice a difference at all. Other than 5 gallons X however much $ you pay for diesel.

m35a2cowner

Heating oil

Just got about 275 gallons of home heating oil. Its been in the tank for about 10 years. Its a bit dark so I am guessing there might be a bit of algae (SP?) in it. Any idea of the type of filter (Micron too) I would need to run it through? Also, what type of diesel fuel conditioner works best at inhibiting algae growth? Thanks

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine (engine oil) goes from the pan to the tank directly via transfer pump. I get about 7.5 gallons of "free" fuel whenever I change oil in one of the Macks. The engines don't know the difference.

There is one old boy here that runs straight ATF in his Dodge. Has a deal with a trans shop for all the used fluid they pull for $1 per gallon. Has run OK for over two years now. Smells a little funny, but then again so does B100.

dg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, algae will turn things bad in a hurry, there is no "little bit" of it there. You can easily tell, it will be a mass of black gunk in the lower portions of the tank. Dark but transparent color is not an indication of it. I'd blow it thru a filter and go.

dg

motorolanut

I have used ATF in older and modern being Pre 2000 diesels and have had great luck,
Just add 1 quart at fillup and go. It is a much cheaper lubricity/low sulfer additive for the injection pump than stanadyne

vbrescueman

HHo is just higher quality diesel--kinda like kerosene is sometimes called no.1 /clear diesel around here. We have run hho in several diesel vehicles-you wont be able to tell a diff.I just picked up 400G of 60's era diesel and about 200G of used motor oil.Just gonna mix and roll! :)

jwaller

RE: oil

I've now used old motor oil and trans fluid in the tank mixed with #2 and it works just fine. I did notice that with high % mixes(~50%) power did drop off some.

houdel

RE: oil

Don't know if I'd be too excited about running waste engine oil directly from the sump to the tank. WEO, especially diesel WEO, has s lot of soot in it (unless you are running a high efficiency bypass oil filter). The soot (unburned carbon) particles run in the 20-60 micron range, big enough to cause wear in your fuel injection system if any gets through your engine's fuel filters. I'd suggest running it through a 5 micron bag filter first, that will get all the big stuff out and save a lot of abuse to your engine's fuel filters and you won't have to change them so often..

n1vbn

Re: Heating oil

m35a2cowner said:
Just got about 275 gallons of home heating oil. Its been in the tank for about 10 years. Its a bit dark so I am guessing there might be a bit of algae (SP?) in it. Any idea of the type of filter (Micron too) I would need to run it through? Also, what type of diesel fuel conditioner works best at inhibiting algae growth? Thanks
All factory filters Gas or Diesel are 10 microns. I would run it through a 5 micron filter and run it with some Power Service additive to kill any growing items.

houdel

RE: Re: Heating oil

Home Heating Oil is NOT "just a highly refined diesel oil". I have lived in homes heated with HHO for most of 30 years. HHO comes in two grades, fuel oil #2 (basically the same as #2 diesel) and fuel oil #1 (basically the same as #1 diesel), probably without a few of the diesel specific additives. The last house I lived was heated with NATURAL gas, I had two 275 gallon fuel oil tanks behind my attached garage. I owned a diesel tractor and a full sized Chevvy Blazer (now known as a Yukon) with the 6.2 liter diesel engine at the time. I had a line running from the fuel tanks to an electric powered refueling pump inside the garage. Some of the "HHO" went into the tractor, most went into the Blazer. My HHO distributor knew perfectly well what I was doing, when the weather turned cold and I called for a refill he would ask me if I wanted a 50/50 mix of #2 and #1 fuel so the fuel wouldn't gell. I had 186,000 miles on the Blazer when I sold it, and it was still running fine after all that time on "HHO". I DID use diesel fuel supplements in the fuel oil though.

devilman96

RE: Re: Heating oil

To hit at he synthetic question... I dont see why not... Snythetic diesel has been in production from WW2 to date in some countries.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered 300 gallons of HHO today. The best price I found was $2.26/gal.

houdel

Eric - I HOPE your home is heated by oil. Using HHO to fuel an on road diesel vehicle is illegal! (Grin, chuckle, giggle, etc.)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hho is for my house. It is hopefully half of what i'll need for the winter season here (oct.-april). I have been wondering what happens when you get checked over by the DOT when you have a multi-fuel truck? I know red fuel will be a problem, but how about veggie oil or bio diesel or wasteoil. Used automatic transmission oil and diesel would look just like died, nontaxed fuel I would guess. If all road fuel must be taxed what's the deal with bio or wvo or waste oil.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Texas as long as it's not B100 it's a additive. If you by B100 it's taxed a lot!!! Most places here sell B99.9 . That way it's added to diesel and not considered the main fuel by the state. Pretty suipid in my book. But on the other hand the state is tring to clean up the air a bit and they think this will help. I woked in a refinery for 7 years and vehicles isn't where our poulition is comming from! HHO isn't availble here. Not cold enough i guess. Some winters i never even run the furnas.

AKJEEP

Any favorite additives for a rig that has been parked with a 1/4 tank for about 20years? I filled it up and ran it out, and it runs pretty good. Should I even bother looking for something to run though the system to clean out any gums or varnishes?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks