• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usefulness of "regular exercise"?

ichudov

I have a firm belief that for the kinds of trucks that we own, just sitting around with no use at all, is a bad idea. Kind of like for people to have no exercise at all. Valves gum up, brakes get stuck, batteries lose charge, etc.

So, it would seem that it is prudent to give our trucks a little "exercise". Right?

The question is, 1) what exactly is good enough and 2) how often to do it.

As of now, what I do is the following: every week, just start the trucks, build up air pressure, and exercise the brakes a little. But, perhaps, I am not doing enough?

jedawson1

I have the same philosophy, I try to drive my toys once a week if not its every other week. Usually drive it to work for the day.

I also take it to the gun range monthly which is a 35 minute drive. I think its necessary to heat the big nhc250 up, just driving it to work isn't enough.

Nice thread topic, thanks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes I believe they need to be fully aired up, warmed up and ran on a regular basis then the air tanks drained. Sitting for long periods will eventually lead to issues.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Letting them idle is better than nothing, but it is not enough for them. They need to be up to full operating temperature and really driven. Driving your truck provides the exercise that it needs.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At minimum, crank it up, put the TC in neutral, then put the transmission in 4th or 5th and let idle for an hour. That way at least the engine, tranny and TC get to warm up and spin to distribute lubricant and drive off moisture.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is one reason all active military units have "Motor Stables" once a week. I try to drive the M927 at least once a week to keep the juices flowing and to keep from having flat spots on the tires. In the older trucks with standard transmissions I don't think it was so critical.

emr

When busy, I try hard to do a " Tires aired up & up to drive temp once a month at least,If the time goes longer don't worry..., like all exercise .. it is accumulative, do it when you can, dont sweat if you miss some time, just do it :) So yes it is very important.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, exercise is good. I like to run mine about 30-40 minutes every two weeks. I drive it hard enough to get both the 250 and the tires warm(I have some hills on my loop that I drive).

ichudov

Thanks to all. What I did today was: start all trucks, get them to pressure and temp. Then operate 6WD switch, brakes, put them in forward and reverse, throttle the engine a little bit, operate brakes some more, drain all tanks.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worth mentioning, and no one has yet; the brake drums rust up if your trucks are exposed to any kind of humidity. Starting and running the truck doesn't get that flash rust worn off. So driving them with some starts and stops really helps to keep the drums shiny.

Great topic!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody agreeing, that's great! Nothing like a little drive as preventive maintenance and you gain confidence in your truck.
Recently put "antique" tags on my 8x8 to be street legal (cheapest alternative at a one-time fee of $50).
For short drives, you need to cover the radiator to build up temperature.
2013 0708 xm757 antique tags, permanent (1).jpg2013 0429 xm757 front with reduced air intake and od green bridge plate.JPG

Note radiator cover with reduced opening (inside brush guard), could go with a smaller opening, but the automatic transmission oil cooler may be effected...still experimenting.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... and there are the winch cables... Not necessarily in the same theatre as the running gear, but they too need a looking at, running out (all the way) and back in probably twice a year unless used occasionally and also dependant on storage location - exposed to rain that will wash off treatment etc. This too will exercise level winds and tensioner bearings and hopefully put them in a different location each time they are stopped.

Great topic - (added my bit above instead of just subscribing anonymously)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the winch, I prefer a loose fitting cover, so that the wire rope can "breath", which will prevent condensation and it's always covered except when truck is used.
DSCN5674.jpg