• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using 6TL with melted post on MEP-003a

Crawdaddy

I'm using the 6TLs that came from my deuce now on the MEP-003a. In a fit of forgetting to tighten the battery clamp on the battery before starting it, I've managed to partially melt the negative post on the battery.Here's what it looks like:
IMG_0784.jpgIMG_0785.jpg

It's at least half still there with just a hole in the side of the post. A friend suggested I get a battery shim like this to repair the terminal and just make sure it's tight in the future. Here's a picture of the shim:
2.jpg

Supposedly you just hammer a shim onto the post and make sure the terminal clamp is tight and life is good. Should I even bother trying? I hate to get rid of the 6TLs since they're still good and I haven't found another battery yet that will fit the trays properly and be held with the retention mechanism.

1800 Diesel

I would go for it--considering the cost of batteries. Clean off the posts, bathe them in anti-seize grease and install the shims. It doesn't look like you'll need to hammer them on though. My guess is they'll be loose until you install & tighten the clamps.

Another option (if there's enough material left): File the top of each post until it's flat and clean. Drill & tap for 5/16" or 3/8" NC thread. Install a SS flat washer, then a standard copper lug type connector (to you battery wires), then a 1" long bolt (with a lock & flat washer on the top side) & tighten snug, but don't strip the threads. Liberal anti-seize on the SS bolt threads too... Don't drill all the way through the post. I believe you can go about an inch with no problem. You'll need a starting tap & a bottom tap to do the job...

jwaller

You could also install a battery post clamp as normal and then melt a few tire weights and pour the lead back onto the post via the open space between the clamp and what's left of the original post.

1800 Diesel

That's a great idea...I wonder if it would melt into the existing post so when it cools the post is "like new"? To do this method he probably should use a brass terminal clamp so it doesn't melt either--right??

BTW, we sometimes melt lead for fishing sinkers & it doesn't take much to melt a tire weight or old sinker dropped into the hot lead, but that's when it's still on the burner....

6x6TRex

I've repaired a battery post by using a soldering iron and building the post up with solder then filing it back into shape.

1800 Diesel

I'll try the shim first, after I replace the battery cables to make sure I have brand new ends on the cables. I'm also going to use a Napa battery disconnect (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...unt-w-o-Fused-Bypass/_/R-NW_785116_0076263386) so I won't have to remove the battery cables again for a while.
WM sells those for about $4 or $5, though the NAPA part may be better quality. I use those on both my diesel trucks--just to have an option for quick battery disconnect.

Triple Jim

I vote for the (gentle) hammer-on repair or the drill-and-tap repair because the other methods heat up the post quite a bit. It's supported by plastic and that seal needs to be maintained or you have a mess of seeping acid. If it still seals after the mishap, heating it again might be asking for trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks