• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using advanced search

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't seem to make the advanced query work properly. Since it doesn't work when using the advanced search form, has anyone been able to find a way to make it work?

Specifically, one can do logical AND searches on keywords, but I can't seem to make it work on logical OR searches.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's funny, I still have not managed to get any logical searches to work since ever........and yes, it is me.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use Google search?

I must be missing something; if I try google search I end up with a lot of entries for past auctions intermixed with current.

I must be missing something on google

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I CAN use Google. ;-)

site:DOMAIN_NAME SEARCH TERMS HERE
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVVVVVVV
site:steelsoldiers.com deuce water pump

But alas, Google will probably give you want you don't want as well.

I use a product at work to search huge log files. I can just type in any bunch of words and it is an IMPLIED LOGICAL AND search. If I want to use a LOGICAL OR I just put OR in between the search items. In CAPs is the only requirement. Searching is a simple function made hard by programmers who are not forced to use it after they code the crap.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Advanced search works fine for me....
For this site, yes. OP is talking about GL.

The site's search is less than optimal. Best bet is use regular Google.
See above, also note the search window at the top right IS google here now.

I must be missing something; if I try google search I end up with a lot of entries for past auctions intermixed with current.
GL likes to hide past auctions as best as they can for some reason... Just FYI.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
GL likes to hide past auctions as best as they can for some reason... Just FYI.
They don't want educated customers. They do not want potential bidders to be able to look at past results and judge the value of an item. They want two uneducated fools blindly bidding against each other with no idea of where to stop.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don't want educated customers. They do not want potential bidders to be able to look at past results and judge the value of an item. They want two uneducated fools blindly bidding against each other with no idea of where to stop.
I agree that's probably the reason but you have to wonder why they don't just delete them at auction close. Maybe they are required to show past auctions so they just hide them the best they can?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree that's probably the reason but you have to wonder why they don't just delete them at auction close. Maybe they are required to show past auctions so they just hide them the best they can?
Wondering why GL does some of the stuff that they do is like wondering why dogs bark at the moon: much conjecture, no chance of ever knowing the truth.*

Until I event an app that reads dog thoughts and broadcasts them in real time to your smartphone. At which time I will become a trazillionaire and disappear to the Island of Doctor Clinto.