• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using biodiesel to thin wmo?

svd dragunov

a guy in town makes biodiesel, was just wondering how it would work in thinning out wmo?

also if i already have been running waste motor oil will it give me any issues with the biodiesel?

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

It is possible that the biodiesel will react negatively with the WMO, so if you are going to thin the WMO with biodiesel, then you will wont to leave the blend to settle for about a week before filtering it, to allow any incompatible components to precipitate out of solution and settle to the bottom of a settling tank.

svd dragunov

It is possible that the biodiesel will react negatively with the WMO, so if you are going to thin the WMO with biodiesel, then you will wont to leave the blend to settle for about a week before filtering it, to allow any incompatible components to precipitate out of solution and settle to the bottom of a settling tank.
so mix it externally, let it settle. then run it. sounds good!

Beyond Biodiesel

so mix it externally, let it settle. then run it. sounds good!
Correct
If it's true bio diesel it'll mix with out any problems.
The reaction between WMO and biodiesel has nothing to do with how good your biodiesel is. It has more to do with how bad the WMO is; because heavily burned and overused WMO has lacquers in it, which are high melting point polymerized hydrocarbons, which are not as soluble in vegetable oil or trans-esters.

Beyond Biodiesel

realistically what should i pay? obviously not as much as pump. lol , but whats the going rate?
I have never had to pay for recycling waste oils and solvents. In fact I get more waste oils of all kinds than I can use. However, if i ever get to the point that I cannot meet my fuel needs, then I would consider 25% of pump price per gallon for diesel fuel acceptable. But, long before that I expect to be using a pyrolysis unit to extract feul out of anything, including plastics, garbage, trees, and even cow dung.

svd dragunov

I have never had to pay for recycling waste oils and solvents. In fact I get more waste oils of all kinds than I can use. However, if i ever get to the point that I cannot meet my fuel needs, then I would consider 25% of pump price per gallon for diesel fuel acceptable. But, long before that I expect to be using a pyrolysis unit to extract feul out of anything, including plastics, garbage, trees, and even cow dung.
so you dont pay for the gas you use to cut the WMO?
i understand recycling waste oils, just looking for another source of thinner.

Beyond Biodiesel

so you dont pay for the gas you use to cut the WMO?
i understand recycling waste oils, just looking for another source of thinner.
Good point, I use waste stale gas from small engine repair shops, or waste paint thinner from body shops, when I can get it; otherwise I buy gasoline to blend with my waste oils. However, I thought you were speaking of how much you should have to pay for waste oils, not for the final product.

Blind Driver

a guy in town makes biodiesel, was just wondering how it would work in thinning out wmo?

also if i already have been running waste motor oil will it give me any issues with the biodiesel?
It'll work just fine.
No it won't. The mix of petroleum and organic fuels will eventually make a gooey mess in the bottom of your fuel tank and will eventually plug your filters.

Keep them separate, but a little cross contamination should be ok for the short term.

I have a reefer tank in the bed of my pickup. When I want to switch to WVO, I try to use up all the WMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks