• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using house paint. on HMMWV

hplacess

Good morning,

Has anyone ever tried painting there HMMWV, or any other car with house paint. I figured it would be much cheaper than automotive paint and a lot more forgiving when laying it down. I was thinking of buying two gallons of Behr exterior paint/primer. Then reducing it so that I'm able to spray it from
my HVLP gun.

Your thoughts...

check out the link in post #3 of this thread a long read (ask me how I know...).

a number of humvees in there and comments from people who painted them.

the only problem I found with the posts about Humvees in that thread is that now I want a Humvee in desert tan...:)

infidel got me

I've painted several with behr. The paint is easy to work with and very easily cleaned up. Two problems that I've noticed with it---

It scratches/shows scratches real easy

We have black inky swamp mud down here/ it stains the paint and wont wash off.

Other than that, its a great paint. Both trucks still look like the day I painted them.

I have since graduated to automotive/epoxy paints, so that's what I currently use.

hplacess

I've painted several with behr. The paint is easy to work with and very easily cleaned up. Two problems that I've noticed with it---

It scratches/shows scratches real easy

We have black inky swamp mud down here/ it stains the paint and wont wash off.

Other than that, its a great paint. Both trucks still look like the day I painted them.

I have since graduated to automotive/epoxy paints, so that's what I currently use.

which Behr paint did you use, and how long ago?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been very pleased with the performance so far. It is not as hard but easily repaired and my HMMWV and M101A2 are parked outside in the weather. I went with a tad different color as it is a Austrian Pinzgauer green/gray.

Mark

HMMWV-FRONT-SIDE.jpg

HMMWV-REAR-SIDE.jpg

20160904_101518.jpg

20160911_172758.jpg

Attachments

Warren Lovell

My opinion, and please don't take it as anything caustic, but I think just because you are in the vehicle restoration business, it does not make one an authority on all paint systems. I have also been in this business (restoring classic cars and motorcycles) and would have not recommended house paint for a vehicle. The idea of house paint on a vehicle sounded cheap and ludicrous. Then I had an extra generator trailer that needed a refresh. After reading about it I decided - it's only a trailer...I'll give it a go. It received a coat of Behr exterior grade house paint in color matched 383 Green. It sat outside for about 3 years after being painted and I regret not taking photos! It held up beautifully. The same cannot be said of my M1009, painted with PPG Hotrod Flats Desert Storm Tan. This paint is a catalyzed urethane, applied per instructions, including correct substrate (staying in the same mfg paint system), and prep. In 3 years it has faded noticeably. My M1009 is now undergoing a Behr Marquee flat exterior grade repaint. For the price of just the harderner for PPG, I bought 3 gallons of Behr, black, tan, and brown. I will post photos of this when it is completed.

Last edited:

dikwks

House paint worked just fine on my deuce and my 925. The deuce paint job is about 6 years old now and looks just fine. Holds up to all of the crap that grows on it under the trees and power washes right off. No flaking or fading.

my blood flows OD

BB9F1AB7-AC13-46F9-8F60-77C3026454E7.jpg787DA15F-630C-4854-8884-4D35B807E32D.jpg9D3C4176-A0B4-4635-977E-5E54C48514DC.jpg
I painted over this high gloss, firetruck paintjob withe just a real light sanding.
this truck was paint over 2 year ago and was driving on heavily over grown trails.
there are tree bark marks all down the sides of the truck where I rubbed up against trees.
the paint stuck to gloss paint.
what paint could ever do that you ask?
Behr...
believe me I was a huge sceptic before I did it. It has proven itself to me and I am paint my second truck in behr in the next two weeks.
a good friend of mine has over three years on his behr paint job and it still looks great.

Last edited:

Warren Lovell

I think you should use whatever you want to paint your vehicle. That being said, water-born house paint is less toxic than real CARC. You should be painting CARC with a hood and fresh air supply. If you can sense any faint smell...you have a leak. CARC IS a polyurethane paint system and contains Isocyanates including compounds classified as potential human carcinogens and known to cause cancer in animals.
CARC paint contains several chemical compounds that can be hazardous when inhaled or exposed to the skin:

• Isocyanyte (HDI) – Highly irritating to skin and respiratory system. High concentrations can cause: itching and reddening of skin; burning sensation in throat and nose and watering of the eyes; and cough, shortness of breath, pain during respiration, increased sputum production, and chest tightness.
  • Solvents – Inhaling high concentrations can cause coughing, shortness of breath, watery eyes, and respiratory problems, including asthma
  • Toluene diisocyanate (TDI) – High levels released during the drying process can cause kidney damage.

drivebymashing

I painted my m1101 with behr house paint 2 years ago still looks great. I just recently painted my humvee with it. took 4 gallons. Im happy. Im pretty sure carc paint cost more than 130 dollars.

russojap

I've been gone from the site for several years, and I'm really excited I am to hear there is a great looking alternative to CARC paint. I bought several gallons of 383 from Rapco in 2009, after I got my Deuce. Everyone on here generally recommended it then, I brushed it on the troop seats and rolled on a door on the truck and the color was ok, but it looked way to glossy to me, so that's as far as I went. I also bought some in spray cans but the color doesn't even look close to me. Can't wait to try the Behr.

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very very happy with the Behr paint on my HMMWV.

Mark

HMMWV----2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks