• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using M-series trucks as salvage vehicles

Marauder_Pilot

I'm part of a group working up a business plan for a salvage/reclamation company aimed at scrapping and cleaning up things like abandoned mine sites, old construction sites and the like.

Essentially, what we need are some vehicles capable of getting into remote locations (Places that may have had rough roads years ago, but no longer have maintained roads), pick up large pieces of equipment and haul them out.

Obviously, my first idea was to import some ex-military 5-ton truck, namely a M816 or M819 wrecker and a 5-ton cargo hauler of some description.

The trips to these sites will include long stretches both on and off-road.

Has anybody ever used these for something like this? Any tips or comments? We'd probably fit them with Super Singles but otherwise leave them unmodified.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are several folks on this site that work their MV's like rented mules.

I have hauled several loads of scrap metal, dirt, gravel etc. in my deuce.

5 tons are probably better suited for your purpose since they carry more and are more heavy duty than a deuce.

You will need to find an old school mechanic that can work on the 250 Cummins and the air over hydrolic brakes on the 800 series trucks.

I would say now is the time to buy before the supply dries up from the government.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet my M920 dropside cargo could get the job done as long as the overhead tree line was cut back. Could even drag a trailer too.

Attachments

army_nurse

I use my M-35A2 to do this very thing. A 5 Ton would be better as far as the ability to haul more wieght. However i keep my fuel prices way down with the multifuel engine in the M35. Singled it out with the goodyear MVT's and it will go in very muddy places with a load on. I have an extra m35 bed and am going to put it on a 105 trailer frame i have with the axle moved all the way back and the tires dualed. keep the breaks and get a better pay load. having said that the biggest load of scrap i have ever hauled in the truck has been around 8000, would probally keep the trailer around 6000 or less. (things like stoves, washers and dryers dont wiegh much and are bulky. long story short yes they work great.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They would be great for that. I beat my xm818 up off road and on, hauling major loads and until last week, hauling WVO on a 300 mile round trip twice a week. 73k fully loaded. She don't do it fast, but she does it. They really shine when your pulling these types of loads off road. That's what they were designed to do.

Attachments

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have skidded logs with my m35 with a pintle hitch I mounted on the front bumper on to a 12 ton trailer with the winch . Works great . My average scrap load has varied between 5000 lbs to 9500 lbs in the duece.My m35 also has a dump body and so far it has handled any load I have put on it effortlessly. One time I Hauled my M105 trailer (mistakenly) 50 miles with an 8000 lb payload with a good load on the truck also. My total weight,(truck and trailer) was 31000 lbs. Trailer had a distinct wag to it at 50 mph. Truck did quite well however. Gotta love military overbuild.

pmramsey

I use my M-35A2 to do this very thing. A 5 Ton would be better as far as the ability to haul more wieght. However i keep my fuel prices way down with the multifuel engine in the M35. Singled it out with the goodyear MVT's and it will go in very muddy places with a load on. I have an extra m35 bed and am going to put it on a 105 trailer frame i have with the axle moved all the way back and the tires dualed. keep the breaks and get a better pay load. having said that the biggest load of scrap i have ever hauled in the truck has been around 8000, would probally keep the trailer around 6000 or less. (things like stoves, washers and dryers dont wiegh much and are bulky. long story short yes they work great.
Put your duce bed on a bolster trailer. You have four extra wide tires on two axles. Bolsters fresh out of remanufacture are going for about $500 at GL auctions.

I have two rigs like this. Opt for the fold down sides...

They would be great for that. I beat my xm818 up off road and on, hauling major loads and until last week, hauling WVO on a 300 mile round trip twice a week. 73k fully loaded. She don't do it fast, but she does it. They really shine when your pulling these types of loads off road. That's what they were designed to do.
Nice pics! The versitillty of a tractor! Thanks for posting.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you realy going to be hauling out scrap steel? after thinking the 818 tractors with dump bed trailers or some kind of trailers is going to move the most weight with one truck. M35's are out 817's are out and the size of the box makes the 917 to me out too. I have a feeling all the pecies you are going after are big and bigger and then there is OMG big. For the big pecies I would hope there might be a lowboy or to on the job that brought in the cranes.

Last edited:

bill2444

If you were to use mv's, I would look to hiring drivers/operators off of a site such as this. That way you would get experienced personal who could drive as well as P.M. the equipment.