• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using MEP-531A in light rain?

csulaguy

Howdy y'all. I've been lurking on here, but thought I'd post since I now have four gensets. Started with a Unicor N2FD, and now have 2 30D36R Subaru gensets and an MEP-531A. So my question, for the MEP-531A and for the Subarus - how well do they tolerate being left outside if it rains, or operating in light rain? Or should they be covered? I just took delivery of the small gensets and on my way back from Ohio to Texas (bought at a gov't auction in OH), they got rained on slightly, but no problems. I've also fully replaced hoses on one of the Subarus and will get to the other one when I get back from a trip.

Guyfang

Staff member
Military gen sets are made to be run outside. Having said that, if I was going to be set up someplace a long time, I might think about overhead cover. But more for me, when I am working/fooling with it.

Chainbreaker

Yep, as Guy says it's rated to run in rain:

From 2015 Spec Sheet:

"Environmental Capability -40°F to 120°F, rain, humidity, altitude, sand / dust, rail transport, -65°F cold storage, salt spray, fungus, 15° incline" & "Electrical Drip proof generator enclosure, fungus & moisture treated, solid state voltage regulator, brush type 2-pole alternator, solderless connectors, Dewey Electronics alternator" as taken from the Dewey spec sheet.

From 2012 Spec Sheet:

"PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS Per Mil-Std-633 Noise 79 dBA @ 7 meters (23 ft) Humidity 0 -100% Fungus Drip proof electronics enclosure Salt Spray 5% Salt Solution Sand/Dust 1.4 g/m3 32.2km/h (20mph) Solar Radiation 355 BTUs/ft2per hour Storage Temperatures -65°F to 160°F Rain 100 mm (3.9 in)/ hr EMIC Mil-Std-461C"

Still...I am one to be a bit squeamish around electricity & water. Just make sure everything is properly grounded.

Chainbreaker

Also, welcome to the forum!

Many many years ago when I lived in TX I used to do the Saturday morning breakfast run on my motorcycle (turned into a café race actually) from San Antonio to Bandera. Boy those were the days!

csulaguy

Also, welcome to the forum!

Many many years ago when I lived in TX I used to do the Saturday morning breakfast run on my motorcycle (turned into a café race actually) from San Antonio to Bandera. Boy those were the days!

I actually live in Medina, so I'm sure you've ridden on the Three Twisted Sisters (FM335, 336 and 337), which starts here in Medina. I don't ride, but I have a Jetta TDI that has the mods and suspension to enjoy those roads!

Also, thanks all for the suggestions. Of course, I'll probably figure out a cover for one of the Subarus in the future, not so much for moisture, but so my rubber hoses aren't baking in the hot Texas sun. All of these are used for various things here on the ranch, and this will be used for running my milk machine/vacuum until I get power and fiber trenched to my pole barn.

I'm also going to assume that heat index doesn't make a difference, relative to operating temperature ranges of these gensets?

Demoh

Military gen sets are made to be run outside. Having said that, if I was going to be set up someplace a long time, I might think about overhead cover. But more for me, when I am working/fooling with it.
Lets not get carried away now, we know how waterproof the MEP-802A and MEP-803A are when it comes to their exhaust systems. rofl

So maybe not ALL military gen sets, but most.

csulaguy

I regret not putting in synthetic oil, though I did change all three gensets' oil recently with fresh Rotella 15W40. I suppose I could put in some Rotella T6 when I get back. In addition to the four generators, there are 5 VW TDIs, 2 diesel trucks, 2 diesel tractors, and a diesel side-by-side, so I always have Rotella around, in syn, syn blend or conventional!

I don't suppose there's a way to have the oil circulate through an external oil filter, or is there any reason to do so? My first single cylinder (that I seized by mistake after an oil change) is a Lombardini, and it had an externally mounted oil filter.

csulaguy

Lets not get carried away now, we know how waterproof the MEP-802A and MEP-803A are when it comes to their exhaust systems.

I'm guessing they point straight up to the sky and don't have a flap on them?

Demoh

I regret not putting in synthetic oil, though I did change all three gensets' oil recently with fresh Rotella 15W40. I suppose I could put in some Rotella T6 when I get back. In addition to the four generators, there are 5 VW TDIs, 2 diesel trucks, 2 diesel tractors, and a diesel side-by-side, so I always have Rotella around, in syn, syn blend or conventional!

I don't suppose there's a way to have the oil circulate through an external oil filter, or is there any reason to do so? My first single cylinder (that I seized by mistake after an oil change) is a Lombardini, and it had an externally mounted oil filter.
You sound like me with rotella... Rotella is like franks red hot... I put that **** in everything. (including gassers even though I dont own any other than a zero turn)

csulaguy

You sound like me with rotella... Rotella is like franks red hot... I put that **** in everything. (including gassers even though I dont own any other than a zero turn)
I'm the same way, and I technically own 5 gassers - 2 currently not working Ford 8N tractors, the air compressor, string trimmer, and lawn mower (that doesn't work after sitting for a year). If I could get a diesel powered push mower and string trimmer, I'd be ecstatic!

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets not get carried away now, we know how waterproof the MEP-802A and MEP-803A are when it comes to their exhaust systems. rofl

As long as the cap is in place, the rain/water in the exhaust is not a problem.

Bmxenbrett

Rotella is great oil. I use it in almosy everything. Quads with wet clutches, my kubota diesel excavator, and even my 09 accord with a 4cyl.