• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using wrecker CTIS controller on other trucks?

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would like to run higher tire pressure on my tractor when on road, is this as easy as swapping the control box?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you can find one from a wrecker thats programmed to the higher pressure. Not all are. Any controller can be reprogrammed you just need the Y cable to interface a PC to it.
Will

74M35A2

If you can find one from a wrecker thats programmed to the higher pressure. Not all are. Any controller can be reprogrammed you just need the Y cable to interface a PC to it.
Will
Is there any public or known know-how on this? Software, connection cable, procedure, parameters that can be calibrated, etc... Thanks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I am working on getting the Y cable part number. It goes between the harness and controller. The software is a free download from Dana.

therooster2001

I don't know the way it tells / checks but the "wrecker" version can be used in the others but will be at a lower pressure, even when upgraded. The 923's will go to 70 with the new or reprogrammed ones, but the wrecker will go to 90. I have several ECU's and would be happy to be a Guinea pig for the software if someone can loan me a Y cable. I'm a computer geek so right up my alley.

therooster2001

I knew I had researched this before. It uses the rp1210a protocol and can talk the CAN bus using their software. It's a standard communications box and a heavy truck or mechanic on here might have the right diagnostic tool. I think you can diagnose and also set the parameters of the ECU from this tool. I will ensure that I can get the software and dig out an ancient laptop (new enough for USB, old enough for Window 98!). So who has one of these? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445091335.764206.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have it all. The full mil diag setup with software installed on a laptop and the Dana diag program. Just not the Y cable that goes between the harness and ctis control to allow access.

therooster2001

LONG story that I should have posted a bit ago, but I got ahold of a Spicer CTIS guru after some mean phone tag and reroutes, so I'm not sure I know where I ended up. My plan was to send him some CTIS modules so he could "upgrade" them for the 70 set point. He said wasn't possible, even though the manual says so. He explained it to me, which I promptly forgot the details of, and should have posted. He asked another guy who confirmed it wasn't possible. We went down the trail of jumping certain pins to fool it into thinking it was a wrecker, but 90 would have just about killed me on the road, so I declined. Bottom line from the expert was this was not possible. I'm stubborn, so I may go after another avenue. Anyone had any luck in y cables or got a Spicer or Eaton tech in their pocket?

74M35A2

I bought both sides of the CTIS connector and made a wye ("Y") cable. I downloaded and installed the free Dana diagnostic software. I also then purchased the required $800 interface rp210a adapter. Hooked it all up, confirmed communication with adapter, but could not communicate with the CTIS. End result, is that the required transceiver board is not contained within the M939 series CTIS units. It even has such disclaimer in the Dana/Spicer diagnositc manual on their site.

therooster2001

Just read that thread, I just peruse the 5-ton, not the hot rodding one, so I missed it. Which ECU's have you tested with? All of mine are Eaton ones, not one Dana /Spicer, so that might be the difference. Agree that the FMTV ones look fine, just upside down, but haven't tried it either. I'll check my ECU's to see if I can't find a different part number. All mine are this one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452781678.342473.jpg

74M35A2

We're trying to add termination resistors to a harness I made. It may be the key to the lock. We'll see over the weekend. Stay tuned....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks