• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC bumper mod.

txdodge43man

Does anyone have the Dimensions for the lifting loops one the front bumper of USMC
2 1/2 ton trucks? I am makeing my duce a marine corps truck and want to add the loops but not sure on the size and lenght.

Attachments

CGarbee

Don't have the dimensions handy (can snag them if no-one beats me to it), but do remember that the "paperclips" on a duece sit inboard a bit (about a foot) from the ends of the bumpers as opposed to the mounting location on a M37 (such as the photo of mine above that you are using as a reference so that we know what loops you are talking about--boy, the photo is old as the truck is sporting the Grip-Spurs in it and has had XZL's mounted for a while...;) ).

I have a set (NOS) of the lifting arms that were attached to the rear spring mounts (with the plates that go on the bed sides) that are also mounted to a duece in addition to the "paperclips" on the front bumper if you need them...

Good luck.

jwaller

Re: RE: USMC bumper mod.

CGarbee said:
Don't have the dimensions handy (can snag them if no-one beats me to it), but do remember that the "paperclips" on a duece sit inboard a bit (about a foot) from the ends of the bumpers as opposed to the mounting location on a M37 (such as the photo of mine above that you are using as a reference so that we know what loops you are talking about--boy, the photo is old as the truck is sporting the Grip-Spurs in it and has had XZL's mounted for a while...;) ).

I have a set (NOS) of the lifting arms that were attached to the rear spring mounts (with the plates that go on the bed sides) that are also mounted to a duece in addition to the "paperclips" on the front bumper if you need them...

Good luck.
if you wanna sell those lifting arms lemme know. I dont know why I'd ever need them but it would be cool to have.

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: USMC bumper mod.

Cabell...

If you have any photos of Bruce Kalin's deuce from the first ECC, I had just welded on lifting shackles on his front bumper. I believe that they were in the correct position as per Bruce's instructions. Maybe you can post a picture of his deuce?

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: USMC bumper mod.

Good idea Mike, but Bruce had his Convoy sign mounted on the bumper in such a way that it blocks the hooks from view in my photos from both 2004 and 2005... I'll try to get some photos of the truck that I will measure so that they can be used a reference. The loops are slightly tilted out and are bassicaly welded on at the break point where the bumper turns back toward the wheel on each side...

Mike_Pop

Cabell,

I managed to find a pic of Bruce's truck. No dimensions. This was just after I welded on the brackets and prepping for the 2003 ECC.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I notice most of those are ground off prior to getting surplussed out. Any particular reasons? I rarely see one of GL with the paper clips intact.

MotorTMan

Im not sure exactly when they were ground off, but when I was a USMC driver/mech in the mid 80's, all of the 5 tons 800 and 900 series both, were all cut back then.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Down side to the lifting bars is that you can't mount them and then drive. Once the rear axles start to articulate, if you hit a pothole or go offroad, the lifting bar will start to move and, being held in place by the eyelet on the side of the bed, the pin holding it to the spring pack will snap. You can count on it getting really tangled in your rear duals after that.

txdodge43man

Yep my best friend who is like a brother to me is in the marines thats one of the reasons im doing a usmc truck the other reason is im sick of the 24087 mud green and the marine green and yellow markings looks a hole lot sharper.

AZDeuce

Gentlemen:

Does anyone have the specs for the material, and dimensions of USMC "paperclips"? I need a set for my Deuce, and for my M37. Thanks in advance for any assistance in dimensions, drawings, are plans.

Semper Fi
AZDeuce

MarineTracs

I never did find the "official" size data on the paperclips. But after getting a rough measurement on them from my friend Blake's. I came up with a 3/4" round bar bent into a loop about 8" tall with about a 3" inside. I went to an automotive spring shop and had them make them. They were confused when I told them no threads on the bottom, but all worked out well. I should note that these paperclips were for my M37. I do not know if the Corps used larger diameter round stock on bigger trucks. Always glad to hear of another USMC vehicle being added to our motor pool.

AZDeuce

MarineTracs

Thanks for the reply and dimensions, at least that covers the M37, but I'm ASSuming (oh-oh) that they're the same for the Deuce.

MadDawg308

I have those rear lift bars on my Deuce, I'm guessing they are used in conjunction with the front "paperclips" to "hoist" the Deuce aboard a ship. I ran the Deuce out in the desert this summer with those bars in place and off-roaded her allot, with no ill effects, my bars fit fairly loosely on the cross pins, allowing lots of free play, and maybe this saved me from any harm.

Semper Fi
AZDeuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks