• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC HMMWV Markings

usmc81301

I would like to know the placement of markings on the USMC HMMWV. I can't remember if it is just the hood or hood a tailgate. I am having trouble finding any info on it.

halftrack

UIC goes on the tailgate and center of vehicle/ or forward doors. Seen it done both ways.
SN goes on top of hood on both sides next to the lifting rings. Tire pressure markings above the wheel wells also.

Attachments

Last edited:

usmc81301

Much thanks for the info and pics. Do you have any pics of the serial number on top. It's crazy I dealt with these from time to time and I can't remember this stuff. Want to make sure everything is correct.

Last edited:

MSgt USMC (Ret)

If you have hard doors you'll often find the units RUC # or Reporting Unit Code. It's a five digit number (also found on your LES, Leave and Earnings Statement) e.g. 83268. This number is critical when your trying to find your units vehicles on a pier with 2 thousand others.

Underneath that you can sometimes see a UP&TT Code (Unit Personnel and Tonnage Table) code. For rolling stock it will be "22".

During shipboards deployments the "Landing Serial Number" or "Priority Number" will be painted on the hood to assist the loaders as to which vehicle is next to be on/offloaded.

"No Step" is painted on some hoods on ship because walking over the vehicles once chained down is sometimes the only way to cross vehicle stowage areas.

The Drivers name is also commonly painted on the window as well as the Section the vehicle belongs to e.g. (Comm Plt, STA Plt, Recon, H&S, MP, S4 etc).

Confused yet? I won't even get into markings for Aircraft movement.

usmc81301

Here's the thing, I was stationed in DC and I checked my LES and I don't have any of those numbers. MY just says 000. So since it is a M1026 HMMWV I guess I will have to find some numbers that would fit that vehicle. Since it had a M2 I was thinking of a heavy weapons company. Any suggestions are welcome.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Were you at Marine Barracks or Henderson Hall? That's odd because every unit has to have a RUC or the unit cannot make Unit Diary entries on a daily basis.

Perhaps only Fleet Marine Force (FMF) units marked RUC's on the vehicles. 8th & I or non FMF units most likely didn't have many tactical vehicles. Units like that use Garrison Mobile Equipment (GME) Blue bird buses, Passenger vans and GSA vehicles for moving the unit to various training events.

halftrack

Much thanks for the info and pics. Do you have any pics of the serial number on top. It's crazy I dealt with these from time to time and I can't remember this stuff. Want to make sure everything is correct.​

I do but I have to dig them up. Give me a day. I have plenty of pics to go through.

0431 - Embarker

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I was at 8th & I. Like you said, no tactical vehicles. Had to go to Quantico to do anything with tactical vehicles.
I did 6 months at the Barracks (H&S Co Guard Section) in 1982 during my first enlistment. I was transferred to Security Company at Camp David after I got the Top Secret Clearance approved. We had Navy marked and SeaBee maintained Jeep CJ-5's and 7's up there at the time.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would they mark an M1009 to USMC spec.
I ni the process of an frame off restore on M1009 for an MARINE for his Birthday.
any help be good.
Thank you.

halftrack

How would they mark an M1009 to USMC spec.
I ni the process of an frame off restore on M1009 for an MARINE for his Birthday.
any help be good.
Thank you.
The same way as a Humvee. UIC / RUC (same number) on tailgate and on doors. Tire press. above wheels on fender. Sometimes they would have USMC below the UIC but not always. Marines never liked marking up their tactical vehicles.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much.
I know the army Mark's were different.
PS This MARINE will be happy when he gets His M1009 around AUG.
I will post photo's when finished.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

The same way as a Humvee. UIC / RUC (same number) on tailgate and on doors. Tire press. above wheels on fender. Sometimes they would have USMC below the UIC but not always. Marines never liked marking up their tactical vehicles.
In the units I was in we painted "USMC" in 2" letters centered on each door with the UIC/RUC # below it. Tire pressure (TP 35) was stenciled over each wheel in 1" letters/numbers. "USMC" was stenciled on the left bumper front and rear in 2" letters and the UIC/RUC # on the right side bumper also in 2" numbers. You may also have seen "DIESEL ONLY" in 1" letters on the fuel door.

That should do it.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009 this will be given to Marine 1958 to 1962 last duty station
USNOTS China lake ,CA.
I trying to do this job Like they do in Albany,Ga full Rebuild. Frame off.
The final Paint will Be 686 CARC DES TAN.

My EQ is 1986 M1028A2 This will stay 383 CARC Green Black Brown .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks