• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Kawasaki KL650A SOLD on GL!

southdave

I remember in 92 at the old DCSC in columbus they 10 mules in legal hold status since the 60s crated up. I dont know what happen them they have since tore that Bldg down.. same bldg where the DRMO office was just couple of fire wall down.

TopKick

I like my M1030B1. It has very few miles, and runs excellent. It does not over heat like the Harley's do. One thing I learned from owning this bike is not to use coolant containing silicates, as they will eat the seals in the internal water pump. I now use Peak 50/50 in all of my vehicles.

Last edited:

JarheadMtn

I have a KLR 650 and learned about a major engine problem with the 'doohickey'. The counterbalance chain tension lever will allow the chain to come loose and destroy the engine. You can buy a kit and replace it before you have any damage and save yourself some money. Here is a website that gives you more info.

http://www.klr650.com/Doohickey.htm

LRDDude

I put 65,000 miles on my KLR 650 that I bought new in 2004. Ungraded the cam chain adjuster, (aka doohickey), and every add on I could find. Frame upgrade, springs, upgraded wire harness, etc. Set it up for a shtf situation. I rode it everywhere. Hiways and off road thru the desert. It never broke down, leaked oil, burned oil or gave me any problems. It would burn oil only when my 18 y/o son rode it, about 1/2 a quart every 500 miles. But he rides hard and fast all the time. I loved that bike, sold it last year. I now have a BMW 800 GS which we bought new in '09. The beemer excells on the hiway, its quick and smooth. But its not an offroad beast like the KLR. And after about 7 recalls on the beemer, (I lost count after the 5th recall, it may be 6 or even 10), its just not as reliable as the KLR. The KLR is old school engineering, beat it with a hammer tough. The GS is a high performance street machine, which can be taken off road if careful. Reliability wise, the KLR rules.
Btw, I sold the KLR because my son wanted a jeep instead. We got $2500 for it. Almost 1/2 of what I paid for it 9 years ago. It was running strong when we sold it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks