• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC M35, did they come with locking differentials

JOEDEUCE

Ive looked through several threads on this forum about lockers. It has been said that USMC trucks had lockers. My question is this, were all the USMC M35 trucks equipped with lockers, or just some? I have seen others ask this question and no definate answer was ever achieved. Lets see what we can find out!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe only the USMC 5 tons had lockers. I don't believe any M35A2 came with a locker to start with.

mcmullag

thru the grapevine

lo these many years of reading on here, I have only heard folks mention the usmc locker trucks....related to the 5 ton cargo trucks. I can't remember if it was the 800 series 813's, or the 900 series 923's. I remember one guy talking about accidently tearing up the grass on his property as he was turning with one of these trucks.

JOEDEUCE

Interesting, I've heard many pros and cons of lockers, I can't say as tho id really ever need them and so far it would appear that my truck does not have them. Of course I haven't been on soft enough ground to really confirm or deny if they exist on my truck. Ghave the only option would be to put it in a situation that would allow the locker to engage or tear into it and see what I have.

Heath_h49008

I was mentioning that to Dennis in Copemish... he had a "Paperclip" USMC truck right there, and he didn't seem to think much about it. He had never run into it himself.

I'm curious, but I know my truck is Army, so it's an academic question for me. I wonder if one locker in the rear axle would be enough? The front tandem tends to swing up and jump, so a locker might not do much there. And I wonder how many still have them after all these years.

ODdave

there is a very detailed thread on what axle benifits the most from a locker. I dont remember the title but im shure somone will find it. Like i said, I have paperclips and open diffs.

JOEDEUCE

Well it seems as though we can conclude that not all USMC M35 trucks came with lockers , if any. Those that do have them obviously had them added at some point. So perhaps we can discuss the "Yukon Grizzly" locker...it seems as though the mechanical locker is affordable, seem to run anywhere between $375 -$400. Perhaps we can locate the info that "ODave" mentioned ,about the best axle location to install a locker.

JOEDEUCE

From what I've read about the Grizzly, its a better unit than the detroit locker. It seems like a fairly simple part to install.... I may cosider installing one just for the heck of it, while my truck is bedless and there is easy access to the differentials.

Heath_h49008

My girlfriend just caught me eye humping the lockers and the $400 price tag...

My list of "must have" add-ons for the deuce I'm already blowing $4000 buying is not getting shorter. Maybe just one locker in the back axle. After the sandblaster/paintjob, water injection, and 395s... just before the power-steering and overdrive kit.

Coal Cracker

My girlfriend just caught me eye humping the lockers and the $400 price tag...

My list of "must have" add-ons for the deuce I'm already blowing $4000 buying is not getting shorter. Maybe just one locker in the back axle. After the sandblaster/paintjob, water injection, and 395s... just before the power-steering and overdrive kit.

"Eye Humping",,I like that line I can say my vocabulary got bigger tonight,,lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks