• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC M416 partial restoration

JB

Well after 9 months of work I have finally finished what I started. This is my second "restoration" of an M416. I have a few small issues to tackle in the future but I may just let them lie. I bought this trailer @ 2.5 years ago and I let it sit in my Dad's pasture for almost two years until I uncovered it and brought it to my house and started working on it. First thing was to wash it dwn to evaluate how much it deteriotated while in the pasture. To my chagrin there was a lot of pitting in the tub and on the outside side walls.

Then I had it sandblasted @ $125 which saved a lot of aggravation and time. I should have taken the tub off prior to blasting but that is a lesson learned.

When I got it back I took the tub off & had to pick and scrape rust scabs off the floor and frame rails of the trailer. This was the most labor intensive part for me. I had to use a mig welder to fill in holes then grind then fill then repeat. It still is not award winning but I think I have staved off the cancer for the next few years. The areas around the drain holes where the biggest problem. The rear hole was really rusted through bad. I ended up shaving off the plug covers and the plug retainer brackets off since they hid some rust holes. I have sealed the rear hole and may cut another hole this weekend. I do not plan on reinstalling the hole covers on either hole.

I banged out a few dents but I started with a pretty straight body to begin with so dents where not much of an issue. I ended up painting the outside when I realized I should stop & sand some more. I thought the sandblaster would take care of the imperfections but blasting can't do everything. Then I had to wait and could only do spot work in it due to short days and family obligations.

Fast foward past the winter months which where actually pretty cold here this year and ended up repainting and painting the whole trailer in March (I think). I installed a new body wiring harness and used the original style lights with Gamma Goat covers for better visibility. The intervehicular cable was still good so I retained it. The fenders are NOS fenders I bought off ebay years ago that I saved for this sort of project.

The blue diamond is a representation of "C" Company of the 8th tank battalion Marine Corps reserve unit here in Tallahassee or at least what it was years ago. Not sure what the Unit is now. I have a USMC version M38A1 in my garage that I am going to "restore" to match it. Hopefully that will be completed by this time next year.

Attachments

JB

more pics

BTW I know the can bracket was not normal or factory installed but it was on the tongue was there when I bought it and I wanted to retain it.

Attachments

JB

Thanks Cessna.

BTW It has both for both the original IV cable and a civy IV wiring (with plastic conduit). I did not change the bulbs and it appears to be bright enough when plugged into my wifes Armada or my Silverado.

armadillofz1

very nice. i just inherited a 416. i plan on pulling it down and doing something similar. one fender is crushed and there is some pretty good rust in the back of the tub. i was thinking of welding a plate over the rust and fixing the fender with a hammer. so my result wont be as refined as yours.

100acre

I really wish I could find one of these!

I see them on CL fairly often, but you have to look daily and in other cities. There are still some out there but they are being either restored by people like us or are being converted into expedition off road trailers especially out west. I'm going to go look at an M100 tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks