• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usmc m817

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to ask you 5 ton guys about the USMC M817 is it the only dump that came with lockers and winch. How common are they. Could you put the different pto and hydro. lift on a 818 to make a dump. How common are those parts. I hope this was somewhat clear as to what I would like to do. 818 or 817 with winch and dump bed, lockers would be good too. Thanks Ron

dozer1

Hmmmm,
Hey Ron. Just subscribing as I really dont know the answers to most of your questions. Should be good reading as some of the 5 ton guys start chiming in. I am imagine the pto and hydro pump would go on a 818. I would go with the 817 all set up already cuz that stuff would add up.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 817 parts will bolt right on to a 818. Just have to modify some of the lever assemblies. If it was me, I would probably just go ahead and get one of the 817's being released. Still quite a few being auctioned lately.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that's what I was thinking but didn't know how rare the 817 with the lockers and winch are. I guess you could add those and be ahead. I wasn't planning on using the bed as such, maybe some other type bed. I would want the dump capability. Just kicking it around. Can get a nice 818 w/winch in my town ready to go for around 4500 w/ title.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't seen any USMC dumps come out lately. Someone bought the last 4 lockers I had last week. Got sellers remorse....wish I would have held on to a couple. You need to take a good look at the roller assy under the dump bed. Wouldn't be easy to modify a different bed.

Attachments

dozer1

Ron,
I was wondering what you want the bed to dump for if you dont intend to use it as a dump truck. Does your application require the bed to tip as much as an 817 or not as high?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how many USMC are out there for sale but I will say I got in on that when the trucks came up close to me. I would guess the Marines are smart an pushe enough to demand the lockers in there trucks. It only makes cence cause it don't come out of your pockett and two lockers in the rear is a bad thing. Now we just add lock out hubs to front and add new/used DDlocker and you got a bad 6x6.
This board has shown that anything is possible so do what you dream.
Think the days of cheap USMC 817 are gone but keep your eyes out.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=pctrans I would probably just go ahead and get one of the 817's being released. Still quite a few being auctioned lately.

Lockers trucks who said that and where are they. I did not get my fix tonight.
You found some USMC's?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot yes a new style pto and pump system is good way to go. I might guess 1400 give or take get you the one peice unit. I have a USMC and they just put a new chelsi unit on the trans and made a cool plate to addapt to the unit hoist valves. If you do this I can take pics and if you go with it I can take off plate and you have one made from that.

I had one with the cab cover off and I like the way it looked. You could remove the side panels and if you want ever to put the tail gate back on leave the back alone. Maybe could build a lighter tailgate and figure out how build a locking catch for the tailgate release buy the cab. That would be easy.

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking on a lighter type bed. Like James was saying about removing cab shield, that and the tailgate might be alright. I have an aluminum dump flatbed, on my new Dodge 5500, that I can mount sides on when needed. I too haul alot of road rock on the farm, just didn't like the look of 817 bed. Although it does have a huge dump angle. Nothing getting left behind there

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks