• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC MMG25 Generator question

swampmatt

Hey, my first post here... I've been looking for a generator for home backup that can handle 120/240. I stumbled across the Military version of the Magnum MMG25 and was curious if anyone knows about it? It's rated at 20kw, but has a 68kVA generator head (Marathon 361PSL1602). The commercial version has a 25kVA generator head, seems way oversized.

It has the same diesel, and same breaker size. So why is the generator head so much bigger?

swampmatt

Are you sure this is a 120/240 volt unit, and not a 480 volt / three phase?
The terminals output 120/208, but the convenience connectors output 120/240 (per the operating manual). So the whole thing can be re-wired to 120/240. I called Magnum and they sent the operators manuals for that specific USMC military variant. He said the generator ends were overbuilt which explains why it has a 68kva end in a unit labeled at 25kva.

Curious if anyone else has experience with these units and has thoughts.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I operated one in West Virginia that had been brought on-site to our Disaster Relief base camp. That one was running 120/240, with the 240 being used to run six dryers in the laundry trailer, while the 120 was keeping an ice machine working. They will cut off when the fuel gets down to about 10-15 percent full and only hold about 40 gallons. They also drink 1.5 to 2 GPH, depending on load. The machine we were using was fairly quiet. Don't know what the manual says, but we would always cut off the main breakers when restarting it (we did not get fuel every day - but that is a long story, not to be told here) until the engine settled down at speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks