• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usmc restoration

GUNNY 155

I have been working on this project for about 18 months now so I thought it was time to share some photos. It started as a US army version with a hard top. This was one of those vehicles that everyone would love to find. It was all original and had never been restored. It ran enough to drive it into my shop and the best part is I found it less than a mile from my house. I have taken it down to the bare frame and rebuilt all components. Not ashamed to say that when done it will be better than the day it rolled out of the factory. The best part is the great people I have met in the process of doing all this work. So hope you all enjoy the pics.

Attachments

GUNNY 155

Mostly Sheet metal work left. Two new doors on hand in the boxes so that should be easy. Currently working on fenders and hood. Cargo box will be done in the spring when the weather improves though many of the smaller parts and hat channels are already done.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is 100% awesome.

You're doing it the right way-I wholeheartedly approve.

FrankUSMC

Gunny, the M37 looks great! Is that you in the satins? I only fit in one of my old uniform parts now........sadly, it is the scarf...One of the few, Frank USMC RET

GUNNY 155

Yes, that is me in my old USMC utilities. Told my wife she will need to find some old hippie chick clothing if she wants to ride with me. Semper Fi!

3dAngus

Now thats what you call a frame off restoration. I wish I had the shop and tools to do mine exactly the same way. Heres an extra tidbit for ya....

I have mine insured with State Farm. $535 per year. Its to much so yesterday I start to investigate and seek options. If mine is completely restored and garaged, insurance drops to $165. If restored and garaged with USAA, it drops to $97.

It really pays in the long run to restore and garage these vehicles.

I love your work. Looks like my first restore is going to have to be a frame on. Once I get better set up with a shop and funds, Ill consider redoing it like yours, which is by far the best way of all.

PETE BALLARD

It appears you have the ultimate project in the ultimate mancave. I don't see any girl stuff in your garage. What's your secret? Cool project - can't wait to see the project finished - keep up the good work - you are inspireing the rest of us!!!!!

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very Nice. You indicated that it you converted it from Army to USMC, did you make and add the front clips and the rear lift extensions or find them at one of the suppliers?

Very Nice, or did I already say that.....

Last edited:

zout

Gunny - very fine looking craftsmenship there - thanks for finally posting some pictures.
Looks like you have the perfect LZ to perform the work you desired to attack.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One word, "Amazing"
Thanks for sharing that here on S.S. Have you thought of what you are going to do next? You're almost done, ya know? LOL
God bless,
Tony

GUNNY 155

First thing I am going to do is enjoy driving this thing around. Thought about putting it into the vehicle show at the MVPA Convention but that was never the intent when I started the project. I was only going to fix it up so it would run but things got out of hand. The second thing I am going to do is go back to building 1/35 scale afv's and 1/48 scale aircraft models, this 1 to 1 scale stuff is a lot of work. I must give my wife a lot of credit because she has been 100% supportive in this whole project and never questioned a dime I spent nor complained about how much time I spent in my shop, she even bought my ND combat tires for my birthday present. No guys, I will not sell her to the highest bidder so forget about asking. LOL I did give some thought to some day getting a M101 trailer to go with the truck though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks