• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V-Belts Question

I just purchased a set of V-Belts for my Duece to have on hand in case of failure while on the road.

I gave the parts person at NAPA the correct numbers and upon returning home noticed that all 3 belts were notched. I know the one for the compressor is supposed to be notched but not the 2 alternator belts.

Questions:
What is the difference?
Why the difference?
Can the notched ones be used on the alternator?

I am returning them for the unnotched ones but I still need to know.

I have atttached the picture that Bjorn posted (what brought this to mind) showing them and the difference.

Attachments

bomar76

Substitution of the notched V-belt (cog belt) for the conventional V-belt offers energy savings. The V-belt is subjected to large compression stresses when conforming to the sheave diameter. The notched V-belt has less material in the compression section of the belt, thereby minimizing rubber deformation and compression stresses. The result is higher operating efficiency for the notched V-belt.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bomar76 said:
Substitution of the notched V-belt (cog belt) for the conventional V-belt offers energy savings. The V-belt is subjected to large compression stresses when conforming to the sheave diameter. The notched V-belt has less material in the compression section of the belt, thereby minimizing rubber deformation and compression stresses. The result is higher operating efficiency for the notched V-belt.
Blatant plagiarism

Here is Bomar’s source:
http://iac.rutgers.edu/database/arc_moreinfo.php?arc=2.4111

I applaud all of the members here for the wealth of information that is shared, and I think it is great that we are all able to help each other out. . . . . but when you copy someone else’s work, you should cite the original author.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. . . Just reread my last post, and decided that it seemed like a personal attack. That was not my intention. I know that most of us are here to learn and share information about Military Vehicles - a subject that we are passionate about.

However, in our haste to help, we must remember – that if we copy anything (pictures, text, video, etc.), we have to credit the original source. Show respect for someone else’s work, it's the fair and right thing to do.

Keep up the good work guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks