• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

v8 swap in deuce

fletcher

o.k. guys. just an idea im kicking around. has any one ever put in a gas engine V8 in a deuce. i just accumulated a reo with the gas 6 cylinder. the guy says it ran when it was parked, but if it doesnt, my idea is to put in either a small block or big block chevy (whichever 1 i come up with ) and an aoutomatic trans. i figure i could get more power from one of these and crank out some RPM, what do u guys think?

fletcher

The gearing sucks for conventional engines.
i thought about the gearing, and considered that the diesel only turns around 2500 RPM'S (give or take a little) not sure what the gas 6 cylinder turns, but im guessing its around the same. now a stock small block and big block can easily crank out 5000. with the gearing these things have i would guess horsepower and RPM would do a little better than a low RPM torque monster

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I vote for Caddy 500!

How about the alt? If its the 25amp one(external regulator) never mind. The 60a I'd be interested in though.

rnd-motorsports

I would think a BBC would do great! [thumbzup] But I like the swap ranchhopper done the DNR refurbs them with the big diesels and they are unstopable for fire fighting low geared bulldozer :driver:

Gunfreak25

Answer to that question is YES. I have a 54 M211 "early deuce" with a 7.5 V8 in it. More specifically, a 1971 455 Oldsmobile and Turbo 400 out of a Delta 88 Royale. Running short little manifolds only so it's got a pretty nice growl to it.

Attachments

Monty

Go with a BBC and a 700R O.D. trans, run a switch for the lock up convertor on the shifter. It will run great, tons of power and has an OD.

need pictures

Gunfreak25

Absolutely! If I had done the repower job myself I wouldn't have even though of using a tranny without an overdrive. The 455/Th400 is a great combo and extremely durable. However it was never designed to push 13,000 of steel down the highway at 65. Will it do 65? Absolutely, very easily in fact. But at 65 in this thing that old 455 is turning pretty fast and your well into your secondary venturis on the Qjet, meaning your sucking fuel outta the tank like a frickin fire hose, dropping the MPG down to around 3 or 4. Since I don't have the time or funds to obtain and drop in a 700r4, I will instead be doing the next best thing. Larger tires and a desplining the front hubs. Fuel injection would be awesome too. Someday I'd like to drop in a 700r4 and Tcase out of a 4x4, it would power the stock M211 Tcase which must be retained due to the reverse front axle rotation. That would give me back low range and the OD would deliver a lot more MPG's.

Rockcrusher

if your looking for a v12 look for an old american lafrance fire truck they had some in them im tryin to find a spicer brownie box with an over drive range an use a 350 or 400 turbo out of a chevy 4x4 a1 adapters makes a short shaft kit no extention housing just a block off plate with a seal makes for a real short transmission an i think they do the same for a 700r4

paradeduty

I hear that the swap to a BBC is pretty slick even with the original trans.
I was going to do the same to an original gas M44 (single rears, chassis only). Bought the engines and the trans's that came with them for the swap - and then sold the truck to someone who wanted to restore it (to tell you the truth, kind of glad that one was going to be restored).
The engines I have are both Tall Deck 427 Truck Engines (I believe the main difference is that the pistons have an extra ring each and maybe a heavier crank than the std BBC). One of my friends had just pulled both out of running trucks, so I bought the second for a spare (brackets, this, that). The first is a fresh rebuilt out of a school bus that comes with an allison auto trans. The second comes with I think a 5-speed manual. I was going to put in the allison so I never checked out the manual. Let me know, I sold the truck and I was just getting motivated to put them on Ebay or Craig's to clear up some space. I think Boyce was one of the guys that used to do the swaps to BBC. Take Care, Dave.

O.D. Fever

460 ford, 440 dodge, 454 chevy, built for low end, 5500 rpm tops full tork at off idle. All will work well. Motor home block or marine would be better. Tranny to suit. Some day, Some day, Some day... Can you tell I'm a old drag racer? Or was that Sunday,Sunday,Sunday.:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks