• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Va Beach to Dallas, Tx

combatmech

Howdy all,
In the planning stages for driving back home to Dallas later next week.
Initially I was going to drive the M-1009 back home. Due to the amount of work that still needs to be done, I'll be driving the K3500 home with the wife and her son.
Change one :The route will be 58 through Va then south on I85, then I20 west. I have been scouting out cool places to visit en-route. First stop, Charlotte, NC to visit the Carolinas Aviation Museum. Second stop, Taccoa GA.
We plan on leaving 19 June.

Last edited:

combatmech

Departed bright and early with the wife and her five-year old son. Plus a mess of stuff that almost filled the back of the truck. First steps in our re-location to the DFW area.
We stopped at the Carolina Aviation Museum. Lots of cool stuff including the Hudson River mishap aircraft and a Tomcat I had worked on before it was converted to a "D" model.
We stopped to get gas at 403 miles. Truck took 22 gallons for about 18mpg.
We have called it a day in Lavonia, Ga and will head out early for Toccoa, Ga tomorrow.

Attachments

combatmech

Howdy all. We made it Dallas last night. The last legs of the trip were good. Go figure that we rolled into town at 1630, on a friday. Sure didnt miss Dallas traffic.
On thrusday morning we drove up to the Camp Toccoa monument. Next time, I'd like to run the trail. Drove into town and walked through the Currahee Museum. Great collection of history including the stables from England where some of the members of Easy Company lived. As we left town, spotted the local PD has a really nice M-1009. Saw very few MV's on I20. One small convoy of Marines, one 5 ton and four humvee's. All in all a great road trip. The wife was glad to have the a/c and power outlets for little man's DVD player and other toys. He really liked having the back seat all to himself. Enjoy the pics!!

Attachments

combatmech

Instead of starting a new thread, going to give this one a bump.....

Spent most of yesterday going over the M-1009 for the trip to Dallas starting next monday.
Route will be the same as before. Looking at a Wednesday afternoon arrival.
My foot locker has tools, coolant, GP card, GP relay, extra belts, spare alternator, light bulbs, fuse kit and 2 quarts of oil.
I'll keep y'all posted as to our progress.

combatmech

We arrived in Dallas last night. 1386 miles total. Truck did great. I did have my reservations though. After all, it is a 28 year old truck. Good thing I kept up with the PM's over the last two years.
Our route was along I20. Thought I might have spotted Wreckerman near Talladega. Saw a 5 ton towing a large trailer, older fella in ACU's heading east. Dont have any photos of the trip. We didnt stop anywhere interesting.
Just glad to be home......[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks