• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vacuum and boost gauge

dittle

When I posted a picture of my gauge with both on it someone commented that it might show a plugged air cleaner if all of a sudden the gauge started showing a vacuum. Don't know if it would happen or not but sounds feesible.

mojeeper

When I posted a picture of my gauge with both on it someone commented that it might show a plugged air cleaner if all of a sudden the gauge started showing a vacuum. Don't know if it would happen or not but sounds feesible.
thanks for the info

I suppose it could work that way I think Ill use just a boost only gauge

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When .... it might show a plugged air cleaner if all of a sudden the gauge started showing a vacuum.
I once measured the air filter restriction sensor on my Landcruiser and found the sensor tripped at less than 3 inches of vacuum, below the noticable deflection of the gauge, so I doubt a "normal" gas engine vacuum gauge would serve as a reliable filter restriction indicator.

Rick

dittle

Don't know in all honesty....like I said someone else posted that and I'm just repeating what was said. Mine is a 0 - 30 gauge in the vacuum side. I have noticed that when going down hill and I let off the pedal to prevent over-reving it the gauge goes clear back to 0 boost and maybe just into the vacuum side. Never looked really close as I don't want to drive off in the ditch.

Attachments

Jones

If you have a hand-operated vacuum tester (like you'd use to check vacuum advance modules on gasser distributors or smog EGR valves) you could test the air filter restriction indicator on the air filter housing of diesels.
Once you know what vacuum it takes to trip them, you'd know how much good a vacuum gauge would do.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter restriction gauge on the deuce will start to show red at about 20 inches of water. I believe that it may even be marked as to the calibration.

steelandcanvas

The filter restriction gauge on the deuce will start to show red at about 20 inches of water. I believe that it may even be marked as to the calibration.
With that said, Bjorn, is there any conversion from water column inches (WC) to vacuum in inches (Hg)?

Ooops! Looked it up myself in the conversion tables:
1 Water Column [inch] = 0.073 555 912 462 inch of mercury [0 °C]

Last edited:

mojeeper

OK guys thanks for the replies I think I will use a simple boost gauge that goes up to around twenty or twenty five and a pyrometer

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Might want to get one that reads up to 30. I have seen members post that they get boost up to 27 and 30 psi. Your truck might not, but it would be a pita if it does and your gauge shows pegged all the time.

mojeeper

Might want to get one that reads up to 30. I have seen members post that they get boost up to 27 and 30 psi. Your truck might not, but it would be a pita if it does and your gauge shows pegged all the time.
that don't sound like a bad idea I just wanted to see the move a lot
Thanks Gimpyrobb