• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vacuum to collect ALT. Fuels

paulfarber

I just don't think the vacuum idea will work without significant cost and expense. Sure you COULD hook up a compressor to run a vacuum pump... but why not just pressurize the oil to 10-14psi?

Are your hoses and receptacle tank sealed to withstand that much negative pressure? Remember you cannot put stuff through a vacuum pump so you have to put a vacuum on a tank and let atmospheric pressure on the other end push it to you.

Tlauden

I just don't think the vacuum idea will work without significant cost and expense. Sure you COULD hook up a compressor to run a vacuum pump... but why not just pressurize the oil to 10-14psi?

Are your hoses and receptacle tank sealed to withstand that much negative pressure? Remember you cannot put stuff through a vacuum pump so you have to put a vacuum on a tank and let atmospheric pressure on the other end push it to you.
Ya, I figured cost mite be an issue, I was going to start asking around to find a worthy tank, I figure a old large propane or compressor tank could withstand a vacuum, pulling vacuum will be the kicker, need to find a way to do it cheaply and make it worth it, then just some hoses/fittings and someone who will weld. In the end I guess cost depends on how many free goodies people are willing to part with.

littlebob

When you figure out a vacuum source, make sure you install a vacuum relief valve and a ball check of some sort to hold the vacuum you've already made.