• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ValuCraft Water pump

Chevybrit

Tried searching here for a review for the above named water pump by some other users but didn't turn anything up.

Its from Autozone and is substantially less than the Duralast new item (more than twice the price)

As its recommended to replace both the fan clutch with the water pump any comments would be helpful.

BTW The Valucraft item is a reman and you get a $4 core refund too for $30 against the Duralast new for $69

Looking forward to a Cooling/Heating system overhaul :D

Value craft water pump.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this brings up more questions ,
What is the warranty on each ?
How many hours does it take to change ?
From looking at the number of bolts I would say there is a bunch of stuff bolted to it.
( I've never changed one on a CUCV) But have done some early to mid 90's small block chevy's you change in 10 to 15 minutes because nothing bolted to them.

Myself on my own vehicle I would put a new one on over a reman

sneekyeye

Please for the love of all that is holy, don't put a cheap water pump on your motor. They cheap out on the bearings, they cheap out on the sealing, they cheap out on the plastic impeller. Save up your money for a decent one. It's what keeps your engine from dying a sudden hot death.
That said, I'd reuse the fan clutch if there were no play in the shaft. That's just me though. I'm still running what I suspect is the original water pump on mine.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it’s lifetime warranty, doesn’t really help if you have to change it 3 times in one year.
You get what you pay for.
It’s not a hard job to replace one, just time consuming.
What’s your time worth?
Buy the best parts you can afford.

I made that mistake in 1997 by going with a reman water pump. Not on CUCV
Sure, lifetime warranty. Great
First one failed after two weeks.
Second one failed 4 days after install.
Enough is Enough!!
Went to Chevrolet dealership and bought brand new GM one.
Was still going strong when I sold truck years later.
I now will not buy anything remanufactured unless no other choice.

Reliability is way more important to me than saving a few dollars.

If money’s an issue, then of course get what you can afford.
Just don’t be surprised when it doesn’t last very long.

cucvrus

Tried searching here for a review for the above named water pump by some other users but didn't turn anything up.

Its from Autozone and is substantially less than the Duralast new item (more than twice the price)

As its recommended to replace both the fan clutch with the water pump any comments would be helpful.

BTW The Valucraft item is a reman and you get a $4 core refund too for $30 against the Duralast new for $69

Looking forward to a Cooling/Heating system overhaul :D

View attachment 714905
I have used Autozone water pumps on every vehicle I work on. I and my customers like the ease of purchase. The warranty is first hand. Lifetime. I have NEVER done the same one twice. I change them on every vehicle I rebuild. I have been using the Autozone Duralast. I did notice that they are manufactured world wide. Once again. I never had any problems with them. I am very thorough when I do repairs and have done many. That sure would come back and bite me if there was a problem. I have a friend that needed a Genuine GM water pump. When he got his A C Delco it was made in China. I do hope it was (Main Land China) Go figure. Small world. Have a great day. Take a deep breath and clean the mating surfaces really well while you have it apart. I bit of cleaning and paint make the whole job go well.

cucvrus

New AC delco only…$172.25 1-2 days to get

That is the reply from the local GM dealer about the water pump.

Water pump price and availability 1986 Chevrolet K30 with 6.2 diesel. Is that an AC Delco pump or a genuine GM? New or rebuilt?

And this (above) was my request. I will stick with the Duralast. Came from the same ladle of cast iron as the A C Delco. I wanted to double check my reply and verify. I used to have a starter/alternator/ water pump rebuilder as a neighbor in town. But the internet put them out of business a few years back. He had 40 employees back in the 90's. The brick and mortar stores are fading quickly. Along with many small dealerships that went by the way side a decade ago. Amazon has everything. Stay warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyoffroad

Please for the love of all that is holy, don't put a cheap water pump on your motor. They cheap out on the bearings, they cheap out on the sealing, they cheap out on the plastic impeller. Save up your money for a decent one. It's what keeps your engine from dying a sudden hot death.
That said, I'd reuse the fan clutch if there were no play in the shaft. That's just me though. I'm still running what I suspect is the original water pump on mine.
I second that! I went that route before and was out there in the cold snow changing that leaking pump 2 more time before I found a GM pump on amazon.

cucvrus

No plastic impellers on the new Duralast and I have not had 1 replacement leak ever. That is a good enough test for me. For the pounding and hard use the plow trucks see. I never replaced one twice. The OEM one leaks and I put a new Duralast one on. I put the OEM ones on the stone wall at my barn as decorations. Back when the local shop rebuilt them. I could get one gone over for about $30. I only replace the fan clutch if it is sloppy or locked up. Next scrap run I will recycle the old OEM pumps. Same goes for fuel pumps and power steering pumps. Have a great day.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No plastic impellers on the new Duralast and I have not had 1 replacement leak ever. That is a good enough test for me. For the pounding and hard use the plow trucks see. I never replaced one twice. The OEM one leaks and I put a new Duralast one on. I put the OEM ones on the stone wall at my barn as decorations. Back when the local shop rebuilt them. I could get one gone over for about $30. I only replace the fan clutch if it is sloppy or locked up. Next scrap run I will recycle the old OEM pumps. Same goes for fuel pumps and power steering pumps. Have a great day.
I've had Duralast fail on Chevy small blocks , I gave up on Autozone when after 3 trips they couldn't get rear brake shoes for a 1/2 ton chevy right. It's all chinese crap nowdays.

Chevybrit

Good points Thanks, although the reasoning behind replacing them at the same time is if the bearing fails on the fan clutch the vibration will kill the water pump and vice versa.

snowtrac nome

I would be more worried about bearing failure on a square body with a 6.2 diesel, if the bearing goes out the fan goes through the radiator, I will bet autozone wont give you a new radiator. That said I have seen a lot of oem parts be bad, I currently have a defective cat thermostat my truck is running cooler than before I changed it. If it were me I think I would use the autozone part, remember its some one like airtex or carter who is making these for gm, the same outfits who make them for autozone and napa. Not to bring politics into play, but compliments of past administrations just about every thing is made out side our boarders now, even if its oem. An interesting story a buddy in Canada had purchaced a couple of cat com adaptors on line and at the dealer the one he bought at cat said made in china the one he bought from a chinees vender said made in Canada.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks