• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of 5 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacticalDoc

Hi all!

I'm looking at another military vehicle and was thinking about selling my truck first. Wanted to ask what it's value is these days.
It's a M923-A1 with all the Marine upgrades (ISO bed, Detroit lockers, Winch, fording kit)
It has a hard top and 1400r20s No rust and start up and drives as it should.
The fluids/filters are all changed. Dex3 in trans which was flushed.
The only issue is that the black relay box has issues at rare times. I have a spare for it too.

What is it worth in the Central FL area?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do they want for it? Are you willing to pay what they want and that is what it is worth. I built a bobbed 5 ton and sold it for $8500. Now same truck in Ca. sold for 17k. P T Barnum said there is a sucker born every min.

TacticalDoc

What do they want for it? Are you willing to pay what they want and that is what it is worth. I built a bobbed 5 ton and sold it for $8500. Now same truck in Ca. sold for 17k. P T Barnum said there is a sucker born every min.
Just looking for a fair price. Want to get at least what I have in it. I figure its worth a little more than the average 5 ton because of the upgrades. I just haven't been looking at their values recently. Thought I'd ask here.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looking for a fair price. Want to get at least what I have in it. I figure its worth a little more than the average 5 ton because of the upgrades. I just haven't been looking at their values recently. Thought I'd ask here.
Much like Hot Rods when you build something to your personal taste , you rarely get what you have invested into it . The next guy will have his own list of mods to do to it . And they flooded the market with 939's.

TacticalDoc

Much like Hot Rods when you build something to your personal taste , you rarely get what you have invested into it . The next guy will have his own list of mods to do to it . And they flooded the market with 939's.
So, what do you think is the value? And even if the marked is "flooded" I haven't seen many with the marine upgrades. But I could be wrong. I haven't been looking.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what do you think is the value? And even if the marked is "flooded" I haven't seen many with the marine upgrades. But I could be wrong. I haven't been looking.
I would agree with Floridianson on price. It depends on how fast you want to sell it , if your willing to wait a year or two you might get close to what you want . It's a narrow market and a even smaller pool of potential buyers with deep pockets.Not that many people really have a need for those features and are not going to pay a huge premium for the "cool factor" .

TacticalDoc

I was hoping for 9 to 10k depending if someone wanted the winch.
I didn't think you could find a Marine truck that easy.
I put it on CL and will consider trades for ATVs NFA items etc...
Though that was a fair price

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's going to be somewhere between what the big surplus equipment dealers are asking and what you see from the classifieds here.

The prices from GL/GP are usually a lot lower because you are rolling the dice as to if the truck has major problems or even runs. If it doesn't, too bad.

If you buy from a dealer, they may offer a guarantee or at least help you if there's a problem soon after the purchase.

You just need to do some research, asking here won't help much unless the person knows your truck and is a good judge of the value.

TacticalDoc

Closing auction prices are summarized here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130121-Closing-Auction-Prices-In-Review

While this doesn't answer your specific question, hopefully it provides a frame of reference.

5k on average isn't too bad
then add taxes and transport
also add for the ... lockers, ISO bed, pto/hydraulics, hard top, canvas, +/-1400 tires, fording kit and a few other things
Also the fluids/filters all changed, trans flushed and Dex 3 added.
I think 9k is fair

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5k on average isn't too bad
then add taxes and transport
also add for the ... lockers, ISO bed, pto/hydraulics, hard top, canvas, +/-1400 tires, fording kit and a few other things
Also the fluids/filters all changed, trans flushed and Dex 3 added.
I think XX is fair
List it in the classifieds and see what you get. This thread has pretty much turned in to a ad .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to keep the prices up in FL. I would not go lower than 10k. There is no other play toy that is it's equal for that price.

I see a lot of 5 tons for sale in the $7000-7500 range and they don't seem to be selling. Too many being surplused. Glad I got mine sold recently. Both m923's wo/w. One for $5000. Other for $6000

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a lot of 5 tons for sale in the $7000-7500 range and they don't seem to be selling. Too many being surplused. Glad I got mine sold recently. Both m923's wo/w. One for $5000. Other for $6000
Good you sold them from your stand point but way to cheap as said for a truck/play toy of it's caliber.
I just bought a Polaris 570 sportsman for 7k and you can't tag it for the street.

tim292stro

We need to keep the prices up in FL. I would not go lower than 10k. There is no other play toy that is it's equal for that price.
Good you sold them from your stand point but way too cheap...
The market value is the market value, if someone needs it gone then it goes cheaper and cheaper until it sells, and it's a buyer's market now. You're not talking about price fixing are you?

idbankrman

The closer you are to a source of these trucks such as Ft Riley, Ft Hood, Ft Polk, etc then the lower their value. Large quantities have come out of Ft Riley and most have been scrapped. Kansas is awash in these trucks. They are barely worth more than scrap value. Having a title or the ability to get one increases value several thousand dollars. Having the truck somewhere they are rare increases it further since there is significant financial risk associated with driving them long distances from a place where they are common. Having them transported is similarly very costly. Finally all M939s are not equal just as all cars of a similar model will vary in price based mileage, options and condition. So a basic M939 is worth far less than an M939A2 all else being equal (which it never is). I find all the time that buyers think a truck is worth the lowest auction price they have seen on Iron Planet or Gov Liq. This is a completely false idea. Buying a truck at auction is very risky. There is no taking it back if the truck fails even in the parking lot. Iron Planets so called iron clad guarantee is actually virtually worthless. Buying a truck from someone who has an operational truck that can be test driven is a world away from an auction truck. Finally everything is this world is simply worth what someone is willing to pay for it and someone else is willing to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks