• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of Sprag Transfer Cases

Memphisdoug

I am soon going to find myself with a couple of exta sprag transfer cases. Are they worth anything to sell or do I have a couple of 500lb boat anchors?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they good? In other words, does the sprag work? Most guys with bad sprag transfer cases just upgrade to the air-shift transfer case, but there is nothing wrong with a working sprag transfer case. There probably are a few guys that want to stay with the sprag transfer case, but not many. If you could get a couple of hundred bucks I would say you were doing well.

Memphisdoug

I'm pretty sure one of them doesn't work. It is currently in my truck and I'm changing to an airshift. The 2nd one came from where I got my airshift case. They accidently sent me a sprag unit first and just told me to keep it. That's why I figured they weren't worth too much.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They accidently sent me a sprag unit first and just told me to keep it. That's why I figured they weren't worth too much.
rofl That's funny right there! (In my best "Larry The Cable Guy" voice).

I'll go along with BKubu and JasonS. If you can get over $100, you're doing well, but expect more like $50. If it works...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one that is not working...that is worth no more than scrap weight. The "boat anchor" analogy is right on...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't sell them for cheap or even scrap them without first taking a look inside! Check for wear, especially the condition of the dogs on the high/low syncro and gears. These and most other parts and bearings are interchangeable, so your sprag TC is a potential donor today to keep you air shift TC alive tomorrow!:wink:

G.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't sell them for cheap or even scrap them without first taking a look inside! Check for wear, especially the condition of the dogs on the high/low syncro and gears. These and most other parts and bearings are interchangeable, so your sprag TC is a potential donor today to keep you air shift TC alive tomorrow!:wink:

G.

ditto

jatonka

Gringltaube is right on the money. Many of the parts in a sprag unit will work in an airshift. And if enough people would ask Memphis Equipment to make another production run of REB kits for the sprag deuce transfer case, they might do it. I have a couple of REB kits in deuces and they work great. Nice extra lever up through the floor board, you select 4x6 or 6x6. Airshift transfer cases are not getting any cheaper and they are not a never ending supply. JT out

jatonka

I removed a complete parking brake assembly from a sprag transfer case today, it is the exact same as an airshift transfer case. Oh, it's also the same shoes as go on a 5 ton transfer case too. They are worth a lot more than what you will get for scrap. Then you have the speedo adaptor, when you can find them in working condition, they aren't free. All the drive flanges, High low range synchro, and on and on. I guess I'm saying, save your paper weights and I'll come get them when I retire. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks