• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

valve adjustment help?

Coldpan35

Hello guys I'm having a bit of trouble with the valve adjustment on my deuce and I can't seem to figure out how to get them correct. I had them adjusted I went by the TM instructions but they still tap so there must I must be doing some thing wrong. Would anyone in the Lehigh Valley PA be willing to assist me i would pay you for your time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine must be COLD and both valves must be fully closed on each cylinder at time of adjustment.
Cold yes.

Both closed, only if you do one cylinder(both valves) at a time and want to turn the engine over for every cylinder.

The chart Rayzer posted follows the same method that is in TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2, and you only turn the engine over and adjust in 2 positions(rather than 6).

This is from the TM
Watch push rod (2) which works cylinder number one intake valve. Using
engine-barring wrench, turn crankshaft damper and pulley (4) until push
rod moves up as high as it will go.
If you read the instructions in Rayzers chart, you start the adjustments with cyl # 1 intake OPEN. or in the tm, it says pushrod up).

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it run better? Were any valves tight? A wise old man once told me valves are like kids, when you cant hear them, you know they are in trouble. rofl

I like adjusting valves because it is a low cost PM you can do on the truck to make it run better. I am glad everything worked out.

Jeepsinker

Cold yes.

Both closed, only if you do one cylinder(both valves) at a time and want to turn the engine over for every cylinder.

The chart Rayzer posted follows the same method that is in TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2, and you only turn the engine over and adjust in 2 positions(rather than 6).

This is from the TM

If you read the instructions in Rayzers chart, you start the adjustments with cyl # 1 intake OPEN. or in the tm, it says pushrod up).
That is a lot less work. I suppose that's why I still have a slight tick on one cylinder that I'm living with. Oh well, this engine is coming out soon anyway.

Coldpan35

Yea the intake valves on cylinders 1,4,6 were loose and exhaust valves on cylinders 1,6 were too tight. But it runs better than it did before!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks