• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve clearence adjustment.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what the clearence adustments would be with the engine cold? We whave the intake and exaust manafolds off to fix the leaks. And udjusting the valves with everything off and cool would be much more pleasent. That and it would be easier to teach the kiddo when he can see it better. Thanks,

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After running different searches, all i get it a post on multifuels. Or a thread on lead subs.

Bill W

I don't know about cold but .015 hot for both the intake and exhaust as per "Change one"in the rebuild manual. when I did mine I bought a pair of gloves and cut out the fingers, this helped to keep my knuckles from burning on the exhaust manifold. If I was to set them cold I would would do them about .016 (maybe a little looser on the ex valves) then check at tempeture

GUNNY 155

Many years ago, like 30, I was a fork lift mechanic. All fork lifts back then had flat head engines made by Hercules or Continental. The rule if thumb for cold setting valve lash was add .001 to the intake setting and add .002 to the exhaust setting over what the specs called for. So for a .014 exhaust valve setting, if doing it cold you would set the clearance at .016. Never had a problem and rebuilt hundreds of engines. Used the same rule of thumb on my M37. Back then mechanics rebuilt there own engines and only sent them out for major machine shop work like reboring. Good luck.

Bill W

.010 & .013 are wrong
These were the old settings that the mil superceded in 1951 ( Change order one) to .015 hot for both in /ex
I originally did my ( rebuilt ) 230 at the old settings and always had a flutter on the vac gauge ( thought it was the carb ) that dissappeared when I reset them both to .015.
When the engine warms up the gap gets smaller not larger due to heat expansion of the metals, like Gunny stated you must add extra gap for cold setting

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks