• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Cover w/ Emission Sticker

HMMWVNEWB

I know this is a long shot, but I went to the DMV today and noticed my Emission exempt sticker is gone. It either never had one and I didn't realize it or it fell of or something. Does anyone have a valve cover with the sticker on it? Or anyone know how to get another one? I saw some crate diesel motors on GovPlanet that looked like they had theirs still on them selling for almost $600. Thats looking like my best bet. Anyone willing to provide any info would be appreciated. I will make sure if I buy another one that it is visible in picture I don't think many people go through the effort to make it legal without it right? too costly?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of a DMV looking at that sticker....and there is different ones depending on if its a GM or GEP engine.....the re-builds from gov plnt mostly don't have a sticker.

Wildland

DMV never raised the hood! They never asked a single question about the emission control system. Oregon has a line item for the military humvee on its Special Plate form. They check, bill you, give you plates!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

HMMWVNEWB

Never heard of a DMV looking at that sticker....and there is different ones depending on if its a GM or GEP engine.....the re-builds from gov planet mostly don't have a sticker.
Right that's the problem this is a R1 so rebuild by Maine Authority. They said either contact gov planet and see if they will get you a rep[lacement valve cover (yeah right) or spend thousands on converting it I don't even know what that entails either.

HMMWVNEWB

DMV never raised the hood! They never asked a single question about the emission control system. Oregon has a line item for the military humvee on its Special Plate form. They check, bill you, give you plates!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
I know I am not sure what to do. They started to do the vin check and then got the emissions people asked if it had a catalityic converter which it does not and thats when I realized I was a lucky bidder of one that didnt have it on there.

Crapgame

What's your engine type and year? I have a few for 6.5l NA 1995. I 'll post a pic after I dig them out of my dataplate/vehicle decal box.
This one is mismarked for a 1995 6.2l NA, its just the jpg I happen to currently have on the laptop I'm typing on.
1995 6.2l Emissions Decal JPEG Draft1.jpg

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The factory emissions label from GEP is for the most part never on a motor That’s been rebuilt, the entire motor is painted black.
Only OEM drop in motors or original moto have the GEP decal on the left valve cover….

HMMWVNEWB

The factory emissions label from GEP is for the most part never on a motor That’s been rebuilt, the entire motor is painted black.
Only OEM drop in motors or original moto have the GEP decal on the left valve cover….
It definitely was a rebuilt one its a R1 and engine is painted black. If it was refitted, wouldn't they have put a catalytic converter on it if no label was applied. I am just trying to figure out what to do. I have no idea how much it would cost to get everything added that would get it to pass smog. Like I said the DMV told me to call gov planet and see if they will send me a valve cover with one on it. That being said it doesnt seem like they are too particular they just want to see it on there it sounds like. I just am not sure which one to get I am not too well versed in the differences between the versions. Luckily it looks like CRAPGAME is helping me out greatly with a potential extra sticker so hopefully it works out. I am very thankful for all you on here!

Coonass77

If that's all the DMV needs to see, I'm fairly certain that with 20 minutes in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Adobe, etc and a printer, an enterprising individual could find a cheap, easy solution to this problem.

HMMWVNEWB

If that's all the DMV needs to see, I'm fairly certain that with 20 minutes in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Adobe, etc and a printer, an enterprising individual could find a cheap, easy solution to this problem.
yes, that's what I am working on currently another member is actually helping me out with this. There is also someone on Ebay that sells them but cant tell the difference in the options available. Is the one I attached above the correct version? I see multiple ones and just want to make sure a 1992 refitted M1097 would have the one I am using. Does that make sense. I just dont want to make an obvious mistake that would clue these dummy's in to what I am doing.

Coonass77

which one? The 1995 6.2L one would need to be changed to 1992 and 6.5L but do I need both?
Again, the factory fresh 6.5's have the GEP version. The 6.5 rebuilds don't have anything (or are painted over), so your truck matches what all (or most) of the other trucks have, so technically neither one of this is right. I can't imagine any random DMV person knowing any difference or actually caring, so if they need to see a sticker, show them a sticker. I seriously doubt it'd matter which one, but the GEP version should be more technically accurate.
My two cents... so take it for what it's worth - which is definitely less than two cents.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No they would not have installed a cat. it would be rebuilt to M1097A1 specs, the 6.2L was no longer available so they used a 6.5L all other items would be the same as an A1 truck.
The GM sticker you are showing looks like a civy truck sticker, all the military engines were exempted AFAIK.
You are in a sticky situation as the exemption likely only applies to military use, I might be tempted to use the "conforms" sticker :eek:
EDIT, unless the vehicle will be subjected to actual testing

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some research reveals GM did not install a cat. until the 6.5L came out in 1994, so your 1992 truck should not need to have a cat.
This is what the original 6.2L decal would have looked like.
I guess you are lucky in one respect, most R1s are given a new serial number and tagged as the year they were rebuilt IE 2005 etc.
IMG_20240125_120017674.jpg

Last edited:

HMMWVNEWB

Some research reveals GM did not install a cat. until the 6.5L came out in 1994, so your 1992 truck should not need to have a cat.
This is what the original 6.5L decal would have looked like.
I guess you are lucky in one respect, most R1s are given a new serial number and tagged as the year they were rebuilt IE 2005 etc.
View attachment 915349
Thank you Ok that's one of the others I saw I will see about getting one. Thanks for all the input you guys are a life saver. Owning a humvee and not joining Steel Soldiers would be the worst decision EVER!

Crapgame

From what I was told there was no National Security Exemption for the 6.5l NA engines for the 1995 build year trucks because it wasn't required as a Cat was part of the exhaust system so the above decal indicates the 1995 6.5l NA GEP engine MEETS the EPA emissions for that model year.

HMMWVNEWB has the problem that his is an older truck, originally built with the 6.2l NA engine (with NSE), but during its service life or during the IROAN or overhaul, the 6.2l NA engine was replaced by a 6.5l NA likley "detuned" engine so the engine would meet the EPA when combined with the A2 exhaust components.

If all they need is the GEP decal showing the 6.5l NA engine meets the EPA or is NSE, then either decal should work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks